"Smeared" NTSC DVD's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cabo 5150, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Those of a superior technical bent will have to forgive my ignorance in this post, in fact I'm not even sure this is the correct forum but... I have noticed a strange effect on some NTSC DVD's, specifically TV show box sets like The X Files, Star Trek The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine etc. When watching many of the episodes I have been dismayed at the picture quality, on close up shots of actors faces you can often see what I can best describe as a "smearing effect" where part of the picture appears to move slower, almost like it's being dragged along the inside of the screen (God I hope I'm making sense here!!) I'm running a Sony DVP-NS900V into a Panny TH-42PW4 Plasma panel via component inputs, the effect appears worse through S-Video. I have an extensive DVD collection and have never noticed anything like this on any region 2 Pal discs, or indeed region 1 movies - only fairly modern US TV shows. I think I'm right in saying these shows are transferred to some kind of digital medium for editing, perhaps this has some bearing? Is there anyone else who's noticed this? Does anyone have an explanation, and is there any way round it? Many thanks in advance...

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    What is the scan rate of your plasma TV set to?

3. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't know there are different settings for scan rate!!! How do I check and/or change them? Cheers Tommy...

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The Plasma TV might be set to 100hz which reduces screen flicker, but by doing so it generates an extra intopolated frame which will generally make the TV pictures, smear, pixellate, etc.
    And I can imagine watching NTSC on this would look even more awful than PAL. That could be one of the answers to why you get smearing, usually 100hzs TVs create all kinds of horrible motion artifacts. See if you can set it back to 50hz.

Although you say this smearing only happens on NTSC TV shows, not NTSC feature films. It may be more noticable because as you say early TNG/DS9 etc were taken from analogue tapes, softened and then sharpened. I have not been at all impressed with the quailty of the Star Trek sets. I've not seen the X-Files ones.

5. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny I should stumble across this post.I recently purchsed the box set of Buffy season 3 on R1.I noticed the exact same effect the other day and that's on a Philips 32pw9527.This was on it's internal prog scan mode,next time I view I'll switch to another digital option and see if I can see the same effect.If I hadn't given up drinking months ago I'd have blamed the sauce!