Smashed TV Screen - any value in repairing?

Rustybin

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My two year old has smashed the screen of my 9 month old, reasonably good 43" Samsung 4k TV - bought in May 2020 for £300 from Richer Sounds.

Is there any value in getting it repaired? Or do I chuck it on Ebay / Facebook Marketplace for next to nothing and bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Last edited:
My two year old has smashed the screen of my 9 month old, reasonably good 43" Samsung 4k TV - bought in May 2020 for £300 from Richer Sounds.

Is there any value in getting it repaired? Or do I chuck it on Ebay / Facebook Marketplace for next to nothing and bite the bullet and buy a new one?
I would say not; even if you can get it repaired relatively cheaply, will be more hassle than it’s worth.

Prices are good now for 2020 TVs, so with a modest budget you might even get a good value 55”.... 👍

Upvote 0
The very reason why I only have ever bought budget sets for the living area's and will only ever buy a premium set for my office (behind closed locked doors). Only this year am I venturing into the high-end range of OLED TV's now that my kids are about to turn 5 & 9. Should've seen the state of my previously owned Samsung LCD/LED in the lounge when my boy was 3... What a mess!!

Upvote 0
Barter the child for an OLED screen :D

Upvote 0

Hmm 300 I think it's a good price and my condolences for the TV. I personally also recently bought a TV but Polish cheap for $ 200 Manta

Upvote 0
The very reason why I only have ever bought budget sets for the living area's and will only ever buy a premium set for my office (behind closed locked doors). Only this year am I venturing into the high-end range of OLED TV's now that my kids are about to turn 5 & 9. Should've seen the state of my previously owned Samsung LCD/LED in the lounge when my boy was 3... What a mess!!
It’s why I haven’t replaced the near 9 year old plasma in the main living area. The 4 year old scratched it about a year ago throwing a toy, and while he is still that way inclined on occasion, it will be staying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I put it up on Facebook Marketplace for £50 and had a few people all over it - so I upped the price to £75, now noone interested.

So looks like £50 is the going rate for a decent TV with a cracked screen.

I've decided to keep it for now. Only my little one really watches that TV so I'm loath to replace it only for him to smash it again. I'll wait until he's a little older. Every day he tells me it's broken so there's a daily lesson there too.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom