smashed my KRP-500a!

captrik767

Well the Wii has finnally claimed my 10 month old KRP-500. :oops:

Whilst i would love a replacement they are ever hard to find and have increased in cost to around £3000.

As such what are people recommending as a suitable replacement? My insurance company will pay a max of £2000 but i can top up a bit.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Well the Wii has finnally claimed my 10 month old KRP-500. :oops:

Whilst i would love a replacement they are ever hard to find and have increased in cost to around £3000.

As such what are people recommending as a suitable replacement? My insurance company will pay a max of £2000 but i can top up a bit.

New Panel? :)

SwissPhoney

You could get it repaired by an authorised Pioneer service agent.

JF Associates repaired the smashed screen on my KRP500A. They did an excellent job - but it's not cheap - expect to pay about £2,200 (inc VAT) of which the replacement panel alone costs £1,745 !!!

captrik767

Thanks guys, new panel would be nice and probably be covered by insurance, just.

Problem is for the same price and i can upgrade to something like a panasonic 50VT20?

What would you do repair/upgrade for the same price?

SwissPhoney

I would repair the KRP500A rather than replace with it a Panasonic 50VT20.

Although I haven't seen a 50VT20 in the flesh, the general concensus seems to be that the Pioneer KRP is still the reference level TV (for 2D). Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance :devil:

kevshed

I would repair the KRP500A rather than replace with it a Panasonic 50VT20.

Although I haven't seen a 50VT20 in the flesh, the general concensus seems to be that the Pioneer KRP is still the reference level TV (for 2D). Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance :devil:

I'll back you up :) I'd repair it if feasible too :) :clap:

Optomotron

Personally i believe it makes more sense to upgrade to the vt20 but only you can make that decision. You should try and get a demo on the vt20.

Last edited:

Bumtious

Banned
Having worked closely and compared both sets I would agree with the bulk of sentiments here, unless you really want 3d Id try and get the KRP repaired.

3D is still in its infancy and personally has some way to go before its right.

Sorry but picture wise the VT is NOT in the same league as a KRP, and is quite frankly is not close. I have seen a few VT's that have bedded in now and they are NOT as vibrant as they are when you first get them. Sure they are one of the best sets available now but they are not as good as a KRP, all the reviews say the same thing, in fact they as a not as good as a 5090 and a 5090 is not as good as a KRP.

Blacks, contrast and processing fall well short of KRP levels of performance. There is a raft of new sets appearing now that look like they will be strong performers, but they are not due till much later in the year.

Supposedly Toshiba has a set due later in the year that uses the same processing chip used in the PS3, that is very powerful and is mooted as a true Kuro beater, but we will have to see when it arrives, but it wont be cheap.

For now I would suggest repairing the KRP. That's 200% what I'd do.

KillaBilly7863

Having worked closely and compared both sets I would agree with the bulk of sentiments here, unless you really want 3d Id try and get the KRP repaired.

3D is still in its infancy and personally has some way to go before its right.

Sorry but picture wise the VT is NOT in the same league as a KRP, and is quite frankly is not close. I have seen a few VT's that have bedded in now and they are NOT as vibrant as they are when you first get them. Sure they are one of the best sets available now but they are not as good as a KRP, all the reviews say the same thing, in fact they as a not as good as a 5090 and a 5090 is not as good as a KRP.

Blacks, contrast and processing fall well short of KRP levels of performance. There is a raft of new sets appearing now that look like they will be strong performers, but they are not due till much later in the year.

Supposedly Toshiba has a set due later in the year that uses the same processing chip used in the PS3, that is very powerful and is mooted as a true Kuro beater, but we will have to see when it arrives, but it wont be cheap.

For now I would suggest repairing the KRP. That's 200% what I'd do.

Hey mate, i'm sory for hijacking this thread but i really wanted to ask this, i know it is practically impossible to get a krp but how good are the 5090s? I have one lined up for when i hopefully get a refund for my V10 and don't really want to go for a VT20 due to the headache i've got from Panasonic for my V10. What i be better off taking the 5090? Since the KRP is impossible to find.

Chelsea_Fan

My advice to the OP would be to consider which TV is most likely to withstand further Wii attacks. I suggest this because the VT appears to score well against the Pioneer in most areas. See the review on this site as an example. So maybe you should consider which is likely to be the most rugged rather than split hairs over image quality.

There have been several cases recently of Pioneer screens cracking due to impacts or during delivery etc.

Are the Panasonics tougher in this respect? Panasonic do claim that their recent models have been designed to be Wii proof.

One scary thing about the Pioneer glass is that it is potentially possible to crack the screen if you play a high contrast pattern on it for a sustained period.

There is a protection algorithm in the TV that adjusts the brightness up/down to try to prevent this happening if it detects a pattern that threatens to crack the screen.

So the Pioneer screen does appear to be vulnerable to cracking. Having kids (or adults!) waving a Wii near it is asking for trouble... :)

Last edited:

mikelj

If a tougher screen is the number one priority, maybe you should consider a PF20 (Panasonic's commercial screens) - they are designed with a tough glass screen to cope with wear and tear from being used in shopping centres, etc..

judethedude

Hey mate, i'm sory for hijacking this thread but i really wanted to ask this, i know it is practically impossible to get a krp but how good are the 5090s? I have one lined up for when i hopefully get a refund for my V10 and don't really want to go for a VT20 due to the headache i've got from Panasonic for my V10. What i be better off taking the 5090? Since the KRP is impossible to find.

The 5090 is an excellent TV. Go for it :thumbsup:

captrik767

Thanks for advice i will call pioneer tomorrow to check if repair is an option otherwise i'm on the market for a replacement.

Damn loved that TV!:(

Found a KRP-500M for £2200 can anyone confirm that this is the same just minus the tuner box, as this may be the way to go?

Last edited:

Bumtious

Banned
Thanks for advice i will call pioneer tomorrow to check if repair is an option otherwise i'm on the market for a replacement.

Damn loved that TV!:(

Found a KRP-500M for £2200 can anyone confirm that this is the same just minus the tuner box, as this may be the way to go?

Yes its about the same - without the tuner box. It has 2 HDMI's but they work slightly differently to the ones on the KRPA. They remember multiple settings with some of the settings as they are designed to be used as monitors at the end of say an amp doing HDMI switching

There is no reason if you have accidental damage on your home insurance why the insurance company will not payout, they may try to get you to replace it for a lessor cheaper TV, but they need to be told that there is nothing on the market right now that comes close to the performance of the KRP. And that's the truth.

There is nothing wrong in getting it repaired as the set is quite likely to be set up even better than it was out of the factory.

Last edited:

captrik767

Well quote is in:

Labour : £175.00
Parts : £1211.36
Total : £1386.36 + vat
Total inc vat: £1628.97

Looks like repair is best option. Thanks for all advice.
Whats the going rate for callibration and i wonder if i can include it in the quotation?

SwissPhoney

Well quote is in:

Whats the going rate for callibration and i wonder if i can include it in the quotation?

That's a good quote - about £600 cheaper than my repair for a smashed screen. I would definitely go for the repair option.:smashin:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Well quote is in:

Around £250 ish & I don't see why not especially if the set had been originally calibrated :)

captrik767

Thanks for help guys, got my TV back today all looks great again.

Going to speak to Pioneer on Monday to see if they will reset my 5 year warrenty.

I'm getting sky+HD on Tuesday what's the best way to wire this lot up?

My Amp does not have HDMI, so i linked at follows:

Blu-ray to media box - HDMI
DVD to media Box - HDMI
Media to TV with supplied cable

As i have no Speakers on my KRP-500 i've linkthe the Audio as follows:

Blu-ray to Amp - Digital Optical cables
DVD to Amp - Coax
Media box (TV) to Amp - Duel cables to Analog port

On my amp i have:

1 x SPDIF output ( RCA phono ) -
2 x SCART ( 21 PIN SCART ) -
1 x composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
1 x composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) -

Photo of rear here:

Google Image Result for http://audio.com.pl/pics/testy/min_pioneer_rcs-lx60d_4.jpg

Where shall i connect the SKY+HD?

Kev12

Looking at that and your set-up as it is, the only way round it would be to dispense with the DVD player and use its input on the media box for Sky HD.
The Blu-ray player will play your DVD's, very well;).

For audio, the optical out from Sky HD to the amp.

captrik767

Hmm that would be a shame as i use the DVD recorder to burn stuff to discs that i record from the TV to watch on my portable dvd player.

Must be another way i do have a spare composite video/audio output. will i lose sound quality from the sky box using that imput?

Kev12

Hmm that would be a shame as i use the DVD recorder to burn stuff to discs that i record from the TV to watch on my portable dvd player.

Must be another way i do have a spare composite video/audio output. will i lose sound quality from the sky box using that imput?

For 5.1 audio from Sky HD it has to be connected to the amp with optical or co-ax cables (depending on your Sky box), if you used the analogue connection, the best you'd get is Pro-logic, which the amp would create from the stereo feed.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series