Smartwatch for elderly to make calls - not much else

Saamah

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a smartwatch for my elderly mother with which she can make calls if she has an accident at home. I think most of the top smartwatches can do it, but getting something that measures heartrate/has a camera etc. is a bit overkill. So can anyone recommend a simple smartwatch that:

- can make phone calls (either using it's own SIM or by connecting to an Android smartphone)
- has a good battery
- is reliable (not like those cheapy DZ09 ones)
- ideally can be voice activated (i.e. you can install Google assistant or something similar)

This is for the UK.

Thanks so much and merry christmas
Saamah

I installed several google home products dotted around my parents home for exactly the same reason.

Should they need help they can just ask google to call someone.

Works like a dream.

I toyed with the idea of a smart watch like you are, but in the end I went with the thing they're most likely to use the most.
(And they do make use of them to call our family all the time)

I installed several google home products dotted around my parents home for exactly the same reason.

Should they need help they can just ask google to call someone.

Works like a dream.

I toyed with the idea of a smart watch like you are, but in the end I went with the thing they're most likely to use the most.
(And they do make use of them to call our family all the time)

that's a great idea and something iv'e never thought of i'm glad you posted about this

The only caveat with the Google home route is that the emergency services can't be called directly from them.

But a quick call to a friend or relative will still raise the alarm for them to call 999 if needed.

A kids smart watch may work such as Kidsnav which has limited features but uses its own simcard for making calls.

Also there are pendants and wristbands that go through to a call operator if the alarm is raised which can be arranged through the council or a quick search online to find them direct. Telecare is our local operator. If the button is pushed it makes a phone call to the operator who then asks if everything is OK. If no response they ring first line response and then ambulance if needed. They also offer a warden service, for someone to pop in if the alarm is raised and there isn't anyone to call in the local area. There are loads of systems available depending on level of need!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom