Smartwatch choice for heart problem

Sova

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Please help me choose smartwatch/fitness tracker/HR monitor. Few months ago I had heart attack(ouch!!), so now when I exercise I have to keep below 150 beats per minute. My exercises are tennis and skiing and my main requirements are
  1. wrist heart rate monitor as accurate as possible
  2. vibration alert when I go over the HR limit.
  3. will work below zero and on high altitude
Good to have:
  • 2 types of vibration alerts: one at 140 beats to tell me in the middle of the tennis point to go for the win-or-lose shot (because few more shots will get me over 150) and a different type of vibration alert at 150 to tell me to stop immediately as going over 150 is dangerous. As I recover further I hope to push those limits up.
  • waterproof - in case I fall while skiing or play tennis in light rain
I don't need GPS and zillion other smartwatch features, hoping not to pay for functionality I will not use. I have iphone and android tablet - not sure if that's important factor.
Spent lot of time googling and I think only several Garmin products (Vivoactive, Vivosmart, Vivomove) and Apple Watch deliver that.
Any other products I should consider? I would like to hear from experts and first hand experience using them.
I am in the UK, looked at ibeat ( FAQ - iBeat - The Heart Monitor Smartwatch That Can Save Your Life ) but that wont be around here for a while and I think it does not tick all the boxes.
Right now I use Polar FT7 but at times heart rate is lost, there is no vibration, so I have to look at the rate every so often.
Many thanks for taking time to read and respond.

The xiaomi mi band 2 will achieve most of what you want.
I can’t vouche for it’s accuracy (as I have no accurate means to check) .
It can be paired via Bluetooth to a mi fit app and the latest version can be set to constantly monitor HR with a single vibrating alarm at a set level.

With normal use, battery life is excellent, at least a month.
You can get it via Gearbest (who I used), delivery from China was quite speedy considering or Geekbuying who I found a liitle slower.

There seem to be many ‘versions’ at different prices but avg is about £20...
Well recommended.

Mi Band 2 FAQ: Specs, Price, Look, Package, Usage, App & More (Updating) - Mi Band 2 - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum

Last edited:
peterson, thanks for this tip. I will checkout Xiaomi. Slightly concerned about the brand and the accuracy. Meanwhile I had hints that polar A370 can do the trick, Emailed polar support 5 days ago to confirm, no answer yet. Any other suggestions, anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom