Quantcast

SmartThings anyone got them/comments

MrMister111

Still sort of deciding on what basic home automation to go for. I have some already, Nest protect and heating, a WeMo plug, some LightwaveRF, some Easybulb LEDs.

Some I'm using, others I'm not (and need to sell!).

Now I'm seeing Samsung SmartThings which look decent, clever, and says can integrate into other devices.

Can anyone answer these questions about SmartThings please...

It uses a hub, prefer not to (as per LightwaveRF), but if it's one but and can integrate other stuff then ok, does it rely on any other servers from Samsung? Always worried that they'll go down, fold, interrupt etc, so is it totally independent and just uses your own internet and the hub?

How is other equipment integrated? ie how is WeMo or my Easybulbs?

Can you integrate and do stuff like, "if sensor on door is broken between night time hours, switch on all lights" using maybe IF program. If in a place near home, switch on heating etc.

I presume it works over mobile network away from home?

Is it, or will it be Apple HomeKit compatible, maybe not as they are rivals?

I sort of want to decide on one option, would be great to allow other stuff to be used by the one SmartThings app though.

Thanks

Not a lot of detail on the Smarthings website about how the app works, so i am suspecting its fairly limited with if this then that type commands.

We have experience with Fibaro and that uses a hub, as does Smarthings, and allows the type of nested if..then.. do type commands you wanted.

They are both Zwave (though smart things is also Zigbee) so a lot of products out there that will be able to be simply used.

i'm suspecting that SmartThings is aimed at the simple home automation market and once you want to do something a bit out of the ordinary it becomes limited.

I can however answer any questions you have about Fibaro !!

snaithg

Samsung have just sent me an email regarding "SmartThings:

Make your home a smart home with a new SmartThings Starter Kit

View online

CONNECT YOUR HOME THE SMART WAY

The Samsung SmartThings Starter Kit is now available, so you no longer have to worry about that light you left on, what time the kids get home, or whether you've locked the door or not – with Samsung SmartThings, you've got it all under control.

BUY STARTER KIT

LET'S GET STARTED

The SmartThings Starter Kit has everything you need to monitor, control and secure your home from anywhere. Once you've set up your Starter Kit, you can connect any of the hundreds of compatible smart devices to enhance your home and control it from one app.

Starter Kit includes:

Hub, Power Outlet, Presence Sensor, Multi Sensor, Motion Sensor.

BUY NOW

MrMister111

Samsung have just sent me an email regarding "SmartThings:
Are you interested in it? Have you got something now?

I'm trying to find out how they integrate existing kit, e.g. DLink WiFi cameras, WeMo or the like.

Also want to know if the hub is self sufficient, didn't rely on external server, so it will run "for ever" even if the servers go down, offline, close etc

MrMister111

The integration is fine with wemo as I understand it. Looks like Samsung have also made the hub less cloud based
How does the integration work exactly though please?

So no cloud, no external connection, that's good isn't it? Using LightwaveRF was always worried with that aspect

snaithg

Are you interested in it? Have you got something now?

I'm trying to find out how they integrate existing kit, e.g. DLink WiFi cameras, WeMo or the like.

Also want to know if the hub is self sufficient, didn't rely on external server, so it will run "for ever" even if the servers go down, offline, close etc
No I know nothing about it.

Today was the first time that I have heard about Samsung's SmartThings!

Graham.

LDJ

I've just ordered the starter kit and an additional Presence Sensor. I love the idea of simple rules such as "if both sensors are out of the house and the front door opens, send me an alert". It seems stuff like this are a doddle. It also integrates with Sonos, so its reason to buy that now (it'll do things like every time I open the front door, play a welcome message or track through the Sonos). Lots of possibilities, :)

MrMister111

I've just ordered the starter kit and an additional Presence Sensor. I love the idea of simple rules such as "if both sensors are out of the house and the front door opens, send me an alert". It seems stuff like this are a doddle. It also integrates with Sonos, so its reason to buy that now (it'll do things like every time I open the front door, play a welcome message or track through the Sonos). Lots of possibilities, :)
From currys?
Have you any home automation stuff at the moment?

Where did you find the info on Sonus etc please.

Would love your feedback when you get it, screenshots etc. I can't find any manuals to read in mean time, I downloaded the iOS app, but won't let me look about until a hub is registered.

Thanks

LDJ

No I ordered direct from Samsung as they give 5% cashback and free next day delivery.
The Sonos information is on the SmartThings.com website. There's lots of case study videos on there showing the cool things people have done with them.

Have a look here: Stories | SmartThings

Would love to know what level of control in fine details you have, so cant wait for your review. Watched a few of the videos and all seems to be wizards to control events so not sure of what else you can do. Thats a bit like LightWaveRF which limits is use.

MrMister111

Been on the SmartThings community, seems really good system and is quite open to use other manufacturers equipment which is a great idea.

The stuff I've currently got doesn't have any integration or rules, like above from LDJ whereby presence sensors not at home and a sensor at home, motion or detection then send a notification.

I want rules or actions, which LightwaveRF can't really do.

It does integrate with some of my existing equipment, loads of compatible devices, and seems very open.

Don't think it will become homekit compatible though as it's a Samsung device

blicky_1

After using X10 with Homeseer for the last 13 years (reasonably successfully but not always reliable!) I have just moved everything over to Z-Wave using a VeraEdge controller. I did look at SmartThings and everything else out there but z-wave won me over with the compatibility/support & price. The kit (controller, plug in modules, motion sensors, light switches, Heatmiser thermostat via a plug-in) was set up over a couple of afternoons and has been running for some 5 or so weeks now without one issue!

MrMister111

No I ordered direct from Samsung as they give 5% cashback and free next day delivery.
The Sonos information is on the SmartThings.com website. There's lots of case study videos on there showing the cool things people have done with them.

Have a look here: Stories | SmartThings
Have you received the starter kit yet? Interested to know what you think and what you've done with it.

Been on the SmartThings community asking a few questions and it seems decent, and works with a lot of non branded SmartThings which is great idea.

mrmrh

Has anyone worked with Smartthings yet? I am looking at it and am wondering how anyone is getting on.
I am particularly interested in automating lighting and see that they support the Fibaro Universal Dimmer (FGD-211) and also the Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Dimmer, and was also wondering if anyone had experience with either Dimmer Modules when using them with Rocker Light Switches and in particular how they would be configured with two light switches in the same room.

LDJ

SO I ‘ve had my kit for a few weeks now and do really like it. However, the first thing I would say is that its still VERY early days for v2 and this is nowhere near a finished product. There are some fundamental things that you cannot do. For instance, I can’t add another user so other household members can control the device. The App just says ‘feature coming soon!”. Also, some things you think would be natively supported aren’t there yet – its just a matter of time, but don’t expect the feature set or app list to be fully complete. That said, they’ve made it trivially easy to write Smart things apps using Groovy and their online IDE, so if you like to tinker then crack on.

I’ve still only got the starter kit and an additional presence sensor but plan to add more soon. I’ve written little apps that do things like:

• If all presence sensors are out of the house and the front door opens, send me a push notification on my phone
  • If a presence sensor leaves the house between a certain time of the day, send me a text message,
  • If nobody is home and motion is detected in the front room, send me a push notification
  • Linked our living room lamp (via the smart things plug) to the open/close sensor on the front door so that when the door opens after a certain time of day, turn on the light, Then turn it back off when the door closes (totally useless but fun to write)

I’m planning on getting an IP camera, a Nest thermostat and maybe even some sort of wireless speaker that I can integrate and have even more fun with.

As I say, really liking the platform thus far and I can see its potential. Its by no means the finished platform yet though…

MrMister111

Great thanks for that, seems much more flexible than LightwaveRF.
That said, they’ve made it trivially easy to write Smart things apps using Groovy and their online IDE, so if you like to tinker then crack on.

I’ve still only got the starter kit and an additional presence sensor but plan to add more soon. I’ve written little apps that do things like:
Can you explain what you mean by writing apps? I thought this was a easy system to use, do you have to be able to program to use some of the stuff you've listed?
  • If all presence sensors are out of the house and the front door opens, send me a push notification on my phone
  • If a presence sensor leaves the house between a certain time of the day, send me a text message,
  • If nobody is home and motion is detected in the front room, send me a push notification
  • Linked our living room lamp (via the smart things plug) to the open/close sensor on the front door so that when the door opens after a certain time of day, turn on the light, Then turn it back off when the door closes (totally useless but fun to write)
Some of these are great ideas, exactly the sort of thing I'd like, can you also do this..
· Between the hours of 11pm and 6am if motion detected or make/break sensor, switch on a light (e.g. for security).
I’m planning on getting an IP camera, a Nest thermostat and maybe even some sort of wireless speaker that I can integrate and have even more fun with.
I already have some IP cameras, DLink ones, but they don't seem to be supported for some reason, pity as they work great, using the DLink iOS app.

I also have a Nest thermostat and Nest protects, how would you integrate these?
As I say, really liking the platform thus far and I can see its potential. Its by no means the finished platform yet though…
Keep us updated, great hearing from an actual user and ideas you have
Thanks

LDJ

Pretty much everything on the platform is done via mini ‘apps’ (it’s the modern way, rignt? ;)). It comes with some in-built apps but they’re quite bare bones. I was surprised to see some basic functionality (like the ones I listed above) wasn’t in built. You therefore have to go down the DIY route and knock up a small groovy script which implements the behaviour you want. This is really easy to do and its good fun, but I feel this is just needed as they haven’t had time to implement all functionality just yet. You’d have to think this will all be part of the (currently rather sparse) app store in the very near future.

You absolutely could write an application that does what you’ve described (turn a light on if motion detected between certain times). Don’t think its there out of the box though. That said, I rarely look in the Marketplace so there could be new stuff. Last time I looked there were cool things like:

> Get a notification of a medicine cupboard hasn’t been opened before a certain time of the day
> Get notified if an elderly relative departs from their usual routine
> Auto lock a closed door after X minutes when its been closed
> Notify my if you detect moisture (e.g. under the sink)
> Apps that integrate with the Jawbone Up
> Gently turn on the lights when its time to wake up in the morning
> Turn light(s) out when there is no motion

I haven’t looked at the Nest/Theremostat integration too much yet (other than to know I really want to add a Nest thermostat to my setup!), but there’s the concept of modes in SmartThings such as day, night, home, away etc. which, when you switch mode, performs multiple different actions based on your config. Adding Nest to this would be logical, so cool the house down a tad in ‘night’ mode or ‘away’ for example or switch the thermostat off/right down if there’s no motion detected in the house; that sort of thing.

Reading through the documentation, there’s lots of devices set up to work with SmartThings and those that don’t you can write your own adapter/drivers for if you are that way inclined. I don’t have any unsupported devices I’d like to hook up so I haven’t looked into it in any detail yet other than to know it is possible.

There’s some great ideas/projects going on here: Think Make Lab | Making great things while having fun

LDJ

They're all within the smartthings mobile app. I think of them more as recipes than apps (its a poor choice of naming IMO). Each sensor has its own range of 'apps' that it can use to perform actions, plus there are apps which use multiple sensors within the marketplace.

LDJ

A combination of both. The majority are from the SmartThngs team, but there are some curated ones. I haven't actually looked into how to publish a script yet, but it has to go through a review/approval process of some sort.

MrMister111

Thanks, I'm still confused on the apps/recipes thing...

So within the SmartThings iOS app you just go "add" and then pick from a list to say, between this time, make this happen? e.g. Like this IF app?

Could you post some screen shots please? Sounds really flexible though.

Just wish my DLink and easybulb would work with it and I'd buy straight away

Trending threads

Latest News

UK telecoms come together to keep country connected
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp and NEC display venture to push 8K + 5G tech
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon and Marantz bring Roon compatibility to products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published