1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SmartMedia Cards Continue to Fail

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wbcory, Aug 15, 2004.

1. wbcory

wbcory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had an Olympus digital camera for 3 or 4 years now, and my SmartMedia cards I bought with it have always worked fine. About 5 months ago I bought a new PC with a built in card reader and suddenly my two SmartMedia cards died on me. I bought a new one and after about three weeks it is now not functioning correctly.

My camera shows 0 pictures available on the card and when I put it in the card reader it says "The disk is not formatted." It then gives me the option to format the disk, but when I try to do that it says the disk is write protected.

Is it possible that my card reader is damaging the SmartMedia cards?

How can I remove the write protection that is supposedly on my card, even though I have not write protected it?

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can't answer your question, but I had a similar occurance with my Olympus 960 and a 6 in 1 card reader from 7dayshop.com.

Three cards became unusable with 'can't read' and 'not formatted' errors and I could not get them to work again. I could not format them either.

I recall that after downloading via the reader the card would either seem alright in the camera until it next got turned off and then on, or it was dead once inserted.

I could not be certain if it was the reader or the camera though.

I ended up buying a new camera - and I then realised how basic the old Olympus was!

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Have you tried formatting the card in the camera rather than the card reader? I presume your camera gives you that option, I know I can do it in my Fuji 4800Z.

Worth a try.

4. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    http://www.eos-magazine.com/PDF/EOS06_03p48.pdf

Although the above refers to Compact Flash, it's worth noting point 3 in Tips and Advice. I've always formatted my cards (SmartMedia in a Fuji) in the camera and haven't had any card failures in 2 and a half years of using the same cards.

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In the problem that I mentioned above, the camera would not allow formatting of the SM card, once it had displaid the error warning of an unformatted card.

I just took it that the card may have been corrupted.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I assume that your new PC is running Windows XP.
    I have heard of people with XP PC's formatting their memory cards in the PC and in effect killing them as they are then formatted to the Windows file system that the camera can not read.
    My advise is to never format your cards in the PC, always format them (not just delete the pics) whenever you reuse the card in the camera.

Mark.

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I have to say that I always just delete the pictures on the card in the camera, never format and have never had any problem.
    Cheers,

Martin.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Just deleting the pics from the memory cards can often cause the cards to not free up their full space, while a format does completely wipe the card, which can often speed up thewrite/access speeds of the card as well.

But saying that - if it aint broke, don't fix it! In other words if deleting works for you then don't worry about formating the cards. If you do find however that there is less available space than previously then trying a format in the camera will do no harm.

Mark.

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Yes, what you are saying makes sense and, I agree, that if ever format my cards, it will be done in the camera

Cheers,

Martin.