Smart TV Only or YouView Box ?

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Sat here pondering life and everything when I wondered if the current "smart" TVs actively replace the need for set top boxes. I know an external mem stich or hard drive is a tad slower and lacks the EPG but one less mains box appeals.

Is this a practical solution in day to day use given the advance, or alleged advance in smart TVs

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
For basic recording perhaps, if you use a PVR to the full and are often recording multiple things at once then no.

jwsg

Its more catchup and streaming service apps that the smart TV is strong in. If you regularly want to watch one freeview channel at the same time as recording one or more others then a box would needed, but it is possible just to manage with a USB stick in your TV otherwise

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I remember it being a bit clunky to an external drive. But for sure the YouView box is pretty clever and slick nowadays. Some TVs now have twin tuners of course but I must admit the TV box is probably safe for now

topgazza

Distinguished Member
UPS ?

I do a fair bit of recording to watch later. The YouView box is very quick and for managing programs etc it’s pretty good

Top Bottom