Smart TV Functionality - all the same ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by topgazza, Aug 16, 2018.

1. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Reading various reviews it seems clear to me that Android TVs indeed smart TVs in general are buggy in operational. Is this true or just my perception ?

I'm talikng about very slow response to the remote, poor execution of pause and record facilties and generally rubbish interfaces. I'm sure there must be makes who are better than others and given my choice is to either buy a Freeview box or a new TV with it built in and use a HDD for recording its important to get it right.

I prefer Sony TVs but open to suggestions if say a philips or Panasonic is "easier" to use

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    If you want recording, you will not replace the functionality of a dedicated PVR in terms of integration and ease of use. Can't speak for all brands but a TV is a jack of all trades when it comes to smart TV and recording and a dedicated PVR will generally do a lot better job. For example I cannot even series record on my Panasonic DX902.

Depending how much you record though you can get away without recording at all now, in that instance built in smart TV may be better...although there are lots of bugs as you mentioned already, particularly buggy and slow is Android TV which is generally disliked the most by users, although some people like its flexibility.

3. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Thats my concern dodge. I tend to read user reviews with a pinch of salt as mostly I never experience the same issues as often its "finger trouble". Not always though and when you rean Android you think Ok thats good a proper OS but of course thats not a guarantee of anything. Android on TVs is different to a phone and if the manufacturer is slow with updates.........

I like Sony TVs, always have, but they are appalling with anything software related. My 5 year old KDL-40HX753 might as well be 50 years old. Still a great picture but they stopped supporting upgrades years ago and the OS must have been written by a 2 year old. Freeview works OK but I'd like pause more than record and I doubt it works on my TV that way with a mem stick or HDD. I'll try it. But I can live without it as I will try and watch through netflix and prime and catch up channels.

Changing TV habits is hard but after 19 years of watching Sky crap is enough. I'm looking forward to it and my interest in a TV was not an optimistic one regarding OS and functionality anyway

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You could go for one of the non-android TV Sony models such as last years XE70 series. Basic functionality in respect of Youview (smart TV guide) and recording is separate to Android anyway and still included.

Although you need a TV with a twin tuner to record whilst you watch another channel and Sony models with twin tuners are only models that also have android TV.

Have you a good store nearby where they can give you the remote so you can have a look of Android TV and see what you make of it? I agree re- Sony, their software is what lets them down most.

My setup is I bypass built in smart TV completely and use a Roku streaming stick plus or my BT youview box. It's so easy to use compared and my BT box manages recordings so much better than the built in TV functionality.

I wish it would be all or nothing with TVs, if it doesn't work just don't bother with smart at all, don't bother with half ass recording and buggy features. Get the basics right and keep smart TV separate unless you can actually do a good job that is.

5. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I agree.

I have tended to view the term "smart" as bordering on mis representation or at least abuse of the English language. I use my Firestick in the back of my Denon receiver a lot to watch Netflix, iPlayer and Prime so thats good enough for most uses. My son never and I mean never watches live TV anymore and his setup is all about netflix and catch up.

I remember a friend had a TV with a built in HDD a few years back, forget the make, but the HDD failed and they wanted a fortune to repair it out of warranty. Especially as he admitted he never used it because it was rubbish. Perhaps I just want a simple TV with the only smart thing being Brian Cox on some science docu. I will pop into Richer Sounds and have a peruse as you suggest

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    They're all bad, but some are less bad than others. Some like LG only have daft layout choices and only-occasionally-slow loading times. Others are slow more of the time.

'Smart' technically just means they can install apps, by analogue to a smartphone. None of the systems have a decent app store selection though, with AndroidTV being about the best.

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Its a half arsed attempt at best but the trouble is they are TV manufacturers not computer companies so really havent got a clue in designing a decent OS like a mobile phone. Now if Apple only made a TV.....

It would cost a fortune but you can guarantee its OS would be a real OS with built in cloud access.