Smart tv corrupts thumb drive

marc.knuckle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have twice now added a home movie to a thumb drive, a Kingston Hyper-x 64gb, and plugged it into our Samsung tv and both times when i remove it and plug back in to the PC, it states the drive is corrupted and unreadable.

I'm not sure there's an option on the TV to safely remove so I've just unplugged it but while in the tv it played the file fine.

To resolve it I've had to format the drive and add the file back again. The format is NTFS and the file is 15gb size.

Any thoughts what's happening?

Cheers, Marc

Try formatting the drive as exFAT instead of NTFS and see if the TV can read it.

I'm not sure there's an option on the TV to safely remove so I've just unplugged it but while in the tv it played the file fine.
Every TV I've had that supports a USB stick has had a remove option, including a couple of Samsung's so I'd be surprised if yours doesn't. The corruption is exactly what I'd expect to happen if improperly removed.

Agree with @next010 here, I had a similar problem with my Sony XF90. I formated exFAT and that fixed the problem.

Try formatting the drive as exFAT instead of NTFS and see if the TV can read it.

Agree with @next010 here, I had a similar problem with my Sony XF90. I formated exFAT and that fixed the problem.
The OP has no issue reading the file with NTFS.

A hard removal prevents the OS doing any house keeping on NTFS prior to the unmount.

@marc.knuckle what is the model # of the TV?

Cheers guys.

Firstly that's right, the TV reads it fine but then the issue occurred on the pc afterwards. Stupidly i haven't then tried plugging straight back into the tv so not sure what would happen.

It was initially formatted as fat32 but the OS wouldn't copy the file across saying the file was too large as it's 15gb. That's when i changed it to ntfs.

The tv is the Samsung ue55ks7000uxxu.

The tv is the Samsung ue55ks7000uxxu.

ETA:

I would still advise you format it with exFAT, its the easiest and simplest thing to do that may solve your problem.

Thanks for the links mate.

With exfat, surely it wouldn't let me put the file on there due to being too big of the fat32 wouldn't?

FAT32 file size limit is 4GB, exFAT file size limit is 16EB so I think you'll be fine.

A couple of points.

NTFS should be fine if it's ejected properly but if your TV supports it EXFAT is a better option.

I've forgotten to eject a USB myself, in my experience EXFAT formatted sticks have been much more resilient and don't corrupt so easily as NTFS.

Decent article here comparing the 2

So i formatted the drive as exFat and added the file again.

Put the drive in the tv and it played fine. There definitely ISN'T a remove option. In fact there isn't any options at all apart from 'refresh'.

I'll explain what i tried. Firstly while actually just in the source menu but before selecting the drive there isn't an option for it. Just if you press up you can rename or move it somewhere else in the line. Second when you select the drive and it brings up the movie or files etc it only has the refresh option.

Instead i turned off the tv then removed it and it played successfully on the PC. Not a great option but i checked every button on the remote in those two locations and there's is also no option to just move the cursor to that has an option either.

Did you try removing it with the TV on then putting it in the PC and seeing if the file system was intact? Just Curious...

I am sure there was one TV that we observed on the forums that kindly changed the format of the drive on the fly, so that the files would always playback on it but a PC thought it was corrupt. Can I found the thread, no sorry :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom