Question Smart TV AND Chromecast?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Pancho10, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Pancho10

Pancho10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am currently looking for a new TV, and already have a chromecast. Are there any advantages to buying a smart TV over and above what a chromecast can add to a non-smart TV? Thanks.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It rather depends on what 'SMART' facilities the TV actually offers, rather than claims to supply. Most will happily deliver BBC iPlayer but not always All4. Chromecast cannot deliver catchups on Channel5 and ITV. It has been a subject of discussion, particularly from Sony and Samsung customers that certain catch-up services are coming, but never seem to arrive. New TVs offering Freeview Play and Freetime (Panasonic) might meet your catch-up needs if you don't have a PVR. Chromecast can only deliver Netflix, but not Amazon if you want the key streamers. I can get Amazon from my Blu-ray player which makes it more confusing. Sometimes Apps on SMART TVs disappear. Most recently SKYPE support has been withdrawn from all sets that offered it.

Chromecast, as you will know, does offer links to lots of music and radio Apps as well as the ability to cast photos from your phone, tablet or Chrome on PC. Depending on your phone make some can cast directly to SMART TVs. These are usually make specific, for example a Sony phone to a Sony TV. It's a bit of a minefield. Personally for the sake of £30 I'd go with a SMART TV for some convenience, and a Chromecast as a useful addition to plug all the gaps. Keep the one you have or possibly upgrade it to the Chromecast 2. Also check if the new TV has sufficient HDMI sockets for your needs. Some new models surprisingly only have 2.

Welcome back BTW

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Pancho10

Pancho10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mike7 for this thorough and helpful reply. I think I'll do as you suggest and go for a Smart TV, but will go to a Currys or similar first and have a bit of a play with the menus to find out about what smart facilities they offer. I need to do this anyway to get a feel for the navigation on different makes/platforms, as the ease of use of menus (EPG etc.) will also play a part in my choice. Cheers.

4. ithinkin

ithinkin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is something which I am wondering aswell.
    And android box for example can do more than a smart telly. Which would sort of defeats paying extra for a Smart TV? Or am I wrong?

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    There doesn't seem to be much of a premium on some SMART TVs over those without. It sometimes seems to cost a bit extra if you want a wireless connection. I agree with ithinkin that an Android box, or a plug in can offer a bit more than some TVs. Its often the uncertainty of support that bothers me. Also you want a service that offers HD quality at a reasonable bit rate.

6. Pancho10

Pancho10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something I should perhaps have mentioned initially... I am looking for a fairly low-end TV, with a budget of around £350, so would I be right in thinking that the smart facilities on TVs at this price would be quite basic, or are there some cheaper Smart TVs that have impressive smart functionality (including as you say above, HD quality at a reasonable bit rate)?