Smart switches connectivity

Jared14h

Novice Member
Evening guys.

I’m very new to Smart lighting and switches and have been trying to plan for implementing it into a house we are currently building. I thought I’d got it nailed down until today when a comment from a supplier has thrown me right off!

Basically, I’m looking to use Philips Hue with various types of bulbs (smart and standard) around the house for different purposes.

I am also looking to use smart switches throughout (taking the opportunity to future proof whilst the house is being built). I thought that I could add the bulbs and switches and be able to control them all from an iPhone etc.

However upon going to order today, I was informed that I needed a BroadLink RM4 Pro. The switch in question is here:
Black Glass Panel LED WIFI RF On/Off Touch Light Switches

Is it the case that I will need one of these or would I be able to buy different switches that don’t require yet another app?

For instance, we were also buying different switches for the rest of the house:

Smart Glass Switches - Smart Switches - Power - UK

Really appreciate any guidance on this as my mind is currently blown!

Thanks a lot

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
A bit naughty calling them Wifi Switches when obviously are really RF

Can I ask why you are going for Hue bulbs rather than just making the Switch smart ?

Seb

Jared14h

Novice Member
A bit naughty calling them Wifi Switches when obviously are really RF

Can I ask why you are going for Hue bulbs rather than just making the Switch smart ?

Seb
To be completely honest it’s purely out of inexperience. I am open to any suggestion which will make my life as easy as possible provided we can still add the colourful GU10 near the media unit and in my daughters room.

Jared14h

Novice Member
I’ve had a look and I think we could use the bulbs instead of Hue. Which is good because it saves money!

With regards to the style of switches we have chosen, what do I need to look out for as we intend on keeping to this style? The company I shown above also has these:

https://hartingtonheath.com/product...-led-wi-fi-on-off-touch-smart-light-switches/

Would this switch allow us to control the lights that aren’t smart (ie pendant, strip lighting etc) via iPhone without an additional modules?

Really appreciate the help you’ve given so far

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom