Smart switch conversion

Dean456

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a kitchen switch that controls 3x11w outside led floods. I want to change this so I can switch on outside floods with my iPhone as it would be useful to illuminate the drive prior to arriving home. I will be adding further led lights which will be a total load of approx. 100w.

I've seen the Den system but wondered if anyone has other suggestions. I see some state the need for a neutral supply but don't fully understand why. I have a pretty sound electrical knowledge but this is something I've not dealt with before. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Some smart devices that either replace the light switch or hook into its wiring need power for themselves and hence the need for a neutral (and live). Others are classed as ‘parasitic’ and draw power just from the live.

Depending on the wiring you already have will determine the smart device you need.

LightwaveRF Gen 2 is good for setups without a neutral (most UK homes) and now are stateful.

Fabien

The problem with Lightwave (which I’m a big fan of and am installing) and in fact most that will work without a neutral is that you need dimmable bulbs.

This is because unless you have a neutral wire at the switch the only way to power the switch is to keep power running through the lights. Dimmable bulbs generally deal with that okay (there is an almost imperceptible glow on my kitchen lights when they are “off”), non dimmable bulbs are likely to freak out / break your dimmer.

So I would second Lightwave, but only if your floods are dimmable / can be replaced with dimmable. If not you need to be pulling a neutral wire and finding something that will switch / replacing the floods altogether with something that is controllable / dimmable.

Hi, I have a kitchen switch that controls 3x11w outside led floods. I want to change this so I can switch on outside floods with my iPhone as it would be useful to illuminate the drive prior to arriving home. I will be adding further led lights which will be a total load of approx. 100w.

I've seen the Den system but wondered if anyone has other suggestions. I see some state the need for a neutral supply but don't fully understand why. I have a pretty sound electrical knowledge but this is something I've not dealt with before. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

As others have said about the Lightwave range. If I was wiring some outside lights, I would be locating a live/neutral (& earth) supply from somewhere (its the easiest way to wire). Therefore I think there's a good chance your light switch will have a neutral, but you will need to verify that.

I believe the Fibaro modules dont require a neutral and they pair up with a samsung hub you can get either dimmers or switches and they fit behind the lightswitch to existing wiring.

I believe the Fibaro modules dont require a neutral and they pair up with a samsung hub you can get either dimmers or switches and they fit behind the lightswitch to existing wiring.
Fibaro switches/relays need a neutral. Dimmers do not, and can be used in an on/off mode as well as dimming but if the load is not high (e.g. LEDs) you may also need a bypass module and fitting both into a box is very tight (where I have needed to do this I have been lucky that I could drop the bypass into the stud wall. For my external lights I used a switch/relay (I have neutral at the switch). The modules can also be fitted elsewhere, e.g. ceiling rose etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom