Smart Switch / Bulbs Problem

irvsax

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I have been going round this for months trying to work out the best solution....

I have kitchen ceiling spots (18 of them, possible with some more to be added). They are currently on a two gang switch. I want to make them 'Smart'.

I have considered various options including getting Ajax bulbs and the wall controller, which would be great but its about £650 worth of stuff! I could get cheaper bulbs but then there isnt a switch that really seems to do the job.

Alternatively I keep the existing bulbs and get a smart switch, but I dont have a neutral wire. I sort of know the options, but what I would really like is someone to say 'This works' and how it all sets up and works. The switch also controls some ceiling spots on the other side of the room, so its a 2 way 2 gang plug. There are a lot of wires in the back and while I am happy changing over light switches etc, this is quite a lot.

I have tried to get an electrician in but no one has replied to my request on check a trade etc, so trying to find a way to get this done. I dont mind spending some money, but just want the best solution so I can set them up and have them included as part of alexa routines, but also a physical switch on the wall.

Can I give you some advice, Checkatrade is pretty much a scam. Most quality electricians won’t touch it with a barge pole. Your problem is that your job is probably too small for many electricians to be interested.

If you want to DIY take @sbriggs advice it’s the most cost effective solution

2 x Shelly dimmer 2 modules

Thanks. Can you explain a little more how this would work while being able to use a physical switch as well on the wall? I want that wall switch to be 'smart' so that turning it off doesnt mean the lights then dont respond to any routines or commands.

Can I give you some advice, Checkatrade is pretty much a scam. Most quality electricians won’t touch it with a barge pole. Your problem is that your job is probably too small for many electricians to be interested.

If you want to DIY take @sbriggs advice it’s the most cost effective solution

Thanks. To be fair I posted this in amongst about 4 other electrical jobs around the house, but they are all quite small (extra spotlights in kitchen, couple more power sockets etc). I appreciate the tips on that though. I will look at those Shelley devices.

Best place to find local tradesman is Facebook. See if there is a local community group for your area and post on there what you are looking for. You will often get 5 or 6 recommendations, normally from either the tradesmen themselves or satisfied customers. If the tradesmen are local and your jobs are small they can often fit them in around smaller jobs.

Thanks. Can you explain a little more how this would work while being able to use a physical switch as well on the wall? I want that wall switch to be 'smart' so that turning it off doesnt mean the lights then dont respond to any routines or commands.
The Shelly modules go behind standard off the shelf light switches and make them smart

they don’t allow the switch to isolate the power so they can be controlled whichever position they are in

The Shelly modules go behind standard off the shelf light switches and make them smart

they don’t allow the switch to isolate the power so they can be controlled whichever position they are in
Amazing. Thank you. This is great

Best place to find local tradesman is Facebook. See if there is a local community group for your area and post on there what you are looking for. You will often get 5 or 6 recommendations, normally from either the tradesmen themselves or satisfied customers. If the tradesmen are local and your jobs are small they can often fit them in around smaller jobs.
Good idea. I am a member of a local group so will ask on there. Thanks

Thanks for the help on this. I have been looking at the Shelley Dimmer and it looks perfect. However, I am not sure how it would integrate in a 2 way double switch. I have two switched at either end of the room and both control two sets of lights.

Now, I dont mind if this configuration changes to accommodate perhaps, but just wondered if there is a ways to set this up that I am missing

1612092048135.png

Use the above diagram if using retractive centre off switches the one below if normal toggle switches. Just double up if you have 2 switches at each location

1612092139843.png

Use the above diagram if using retractive centre off switches the one below if normal toggle switches. Just double up if you have 2 switches at each location

View attachment 1451799
Thank you, this is awesome. That is what I was thinking, just put two Shelley modules in there to cover it if two switches.

I would suggest using the retractive switches then you can dim at the light switches manually

I would suggest using the retractive switches then you can dim at the light switches manually
Aha yes. I dont have those current, just on and off, but I can get some of those (and make sure my bulbs are dimmable)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom