Smart space saving utility/ laundry room?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by p1tse, Feb 9, 2014.

1. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What's the definition of a utility room, should it have a sink in it?

Has anyone got smart space saving laundry room for washing machine, tumble drier, somewhere to put the ironing board, Hoover

Or anything clever inbuilt to the kitchen as we currently don't have a separate room and thought a clever inbuilt closet type thing in the kitchen next to the side exit door would be cool

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I have built a utility room. A separate room in our basement to house the washing machine and dryer primarily as we need to pump all waste water away and it made sense to be near the sump.
    It also has a sink. And it has my data centre there too (as it is in the centre of the house). Hopefully all the noisy stuff with be behind closed doors.

3. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,971
    Ours is a 6'x8' room off the kitchen housing the washer, fridge freezer, hoover, ironing stuff, beer fridge etc and a sink for soaking washing.

Cupboard space to store various appliances and nick-nacks. This is where the circuit breakers are.

I keep it as a cool room with the radiator off.

Like blue max, the noisy stuff happens in there.

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Don't you find it annoying to have to go into another room to get to the fridge - or is it a second one?

5. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,971
    Not at all, it's just through a door.

It could be because I am used to doing it.

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    You've probably never heard of the 'golden triangle' then :)

Basically to have the cooker, fridge and sink all within close proximity. But it is only an ideal. Guess you have to be more organised. Might put the kids off peering into it every time they come home from school.

You've certainly used the space well to get all that in there! Mine is 6.5 x 7.5ft and I'm a fridge/freezer and a beer fridge short!

7. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,971
    Yea I have heard of that bull ;). Our first kitchen had a similar arrangement until the side-by-side fridge freezer arrived.

A necessity if productivity and efficiency are the concern like in a commercial business, but domestically a non issue.

Getting a few things out of the fridge and placing them on a work top beforehand isn't an issue unless the kitchen is enormous of course.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Fair play to you mate. Just slugging a bit of milk into a cup of coffee might need a little more planning, but if it works for you :)

9. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    My utility is a room 8ft by 3 ft. Only room for one person. Door is in the centre, one side tall freezer with beer fridge on top, other side washer with the dryer on top. All behind a closed door (when it gets fitted). I purpose built mine like that to save kitchen space.

10. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    No sink but washing machine, tumble dryer and storage space. It has a door through to downstairs toilet shower room which has a small sink.

11. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,902
    I have a very narrow and exceptionally large utility room. It has just (and I mean just) enough room for a washing machine, tumble dryer and very small sink.

If we ever have to replace the tumble dryer then I will need to take the radiator off the wall to get it out and the washing machine will be another pain. if you want some pics for ideas then I will see what I can do.

12. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Just had a kitchen extension / side return done. Decided to sacrifice some space and build in a utility room and really glan we did. Ours has just ended up being 2.5m by about 1.3m so is pretty snug in there but it means we have another room for washing / drying to keep the noise and clutter away from the main kitchen and putting another sink in there is really useful - for me that was a must.

Think it depends on how much you use it - we have washing on constantly and a lot of use of a sink so has ended up being a great idea for us, and the appliances would have had to have found a space in the kitchen anyway so I dont think we have wasted too much space putting it out of the way. Just made everything in the kitchen so much nicer and less "busy"

Would not put a fridge in there though - or anythin else you need to use in the kitchen - personally think it will be a pain even if its only a few feet away through another door.

13. DarenD

DarenD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Just knocked out both our utility room and downstairs toilet to make a massive kitchen. Utility room was just another dumping ground and that's what the garage is for.

14. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    We made an area for a utility room and put in a washing machine, tumble dryer, a few cupboards and a big sink with no drainer. Sink is used for stuff like cleaning paint trays/rollers, muddy shoes/boots, soaking clothes etc so needed to be a good size.