1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Media Write Protected

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DazJWood, May 7, 2004.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help me with a problem that is driving me nuts!!!

I have four Smart Media cards that I use with my Olympus C3000 digital camera.

To make file transfer easier (as the software Olympus supply crashes often in Windows XP) I bought a card reader. This makes things much easier and quicker to transfer my photos to my pc. I also use this to transfer files from my works pc to my home pc. As I just carry it with me and load files on at work and take them back off at home.

I have used the card reader in this way for what must be a year.

For some reason now the cards will not let me write anything to them in the reader !!! I keep getting an error declaring they are write protected. I have tried formatting them again in both the camera and the pc. In the camera it formats fine but still won't let me write files to them in the card reader. On the pc it won't let me format at all saying the usual "write protect" error!!!!

I can't understand what has changed and I cannot work out how to un write protect them as now I cannot use the cards to transfer my work files home!!!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have read the site and wasn't aware of any write protect on a smart media card. I'm not convinced that there is even reading the article.

But that aside the cards have no labels on them and nothing has changed since I bought them.

Anyone else any ideas?

Daz

4. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since you havn't labelled the disk I think the finger of suspicion is pointing at a problem with the card reader.
    Do you have access to an alternative reader/writer or even another camera to test the cards on?
    I would suggest reformatting the cards in the camera again but would advise against using XP to format the cards via the reader.There have been reports over on the "ephotozine" forum strongly advising against this procedure.

ephotozine can be found here:-
    http://www.ephotozine.com/

5. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply

I have never used the card reader to format the card ever. I have only ever deleted images off the card using the reader. I always format the card in the camera so cannot understand what this problem is.

I have tried an SD card in the reader and this reads and writes perfectly.

Perhaps it is a fault with the card reader I dunno. Just seems very strange to have this happen now.

Oh well guess I'm stuck with it!

Daz

6. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a feeling you have some data files on the cards which arn't being removed when you format/ delete the card in the camera since the camera can only see image files.
    Try reading the card contents in the card reader using Windows Explorer.
    If you can see data files then have a look at their "Properties" - are they now read only by any chance?
    If yes then remove the attribute and then delete them using the reader.
    Reformat the card again in camera.
    I can't think of anything a else to cause this problem with 4 cards at the moment.

7. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol I have no data files on the cards at all!

There is nothing on the cards. I have formatted them in the camera and looked at them in windows explorer. There is nothing at all on the cards, but still the cards remain write protected. Weird I know! But I don't know the answer nor can find the same problem anywhere else! :(

8. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I did find this site as well.

Have tried following some instructions on this site to reformat smart media cards.

When i try.....surprise surprise.....I can't reformat because it tells me the card is write protected!!!!

I guess I'm stuck! Strange thing is when I connect my camera with a card to my PC and run the Olympus software I can write jpgs back onto the card easily enough. I can't put data files on though and nor would it be much use carting my camera round with me lol.

Very strange this one and I cannot find any more info on this problem anywhere :(

Daz

10. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you tried a different card reader yet - perhaps that is the problem as already suggested and not the cards themselves.

11. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I haven't yet. I guess that is the obvious next step. It works fine with other cards though but I guess that doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem with the reader.

I'll have to look at getting another card reader.

Daz