Smart Lights or Switch

lky2k23

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 banks of GU10 led's in my kitchen, but the light switches aren't in the places they should be.

I want to move the switch without rewiring if possible.

I know about ikea and philips smart lights, but is there any solution to make the switch 'smart' and relay it with a new switch? Any I've found are US based only.

RFlightwave have dimmers/switches and a smart hub. It's designed for the UK.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sounds to me like your switch wires are a 230v feed and switch live to the fittings rather than a live and neutral. If the device requires a neutral then you will have to re-wire or trace the existing cabling to find the junction where the switch wire meets either the main for the circuit (which will include the neutral feed) and relocate your relay there.

The only other option is to look for a system with relays or dimmers that can work without a neutral.

Looks like the relay requires a neutral feed so normal UK wiring doesn't provide this at a light switch as neilball states.

Do you have access to the wiring junction in the ceiling rather than the light switch? You should be able to wire the relay into that and still have control. Get an electrician if you are not sure.

Just get philips Hue lights and the dimmer switch and place it where you want it. Then leave the traditional light switch in the on position and don't touch it. If you put a motion sensor in there as well such that the lights go on by themselves then nobody will be tempted to use the traditional switch. Much less hassle than rewiring.

Given the hue g10 bulbs are at least 30 each for the philips one it could work out very expensive for a kitchen though.

You would not need to rewire if you can get access to the ceiling area

Given the hue g10 bulbs are at least 30 each for the philips one it could work out very expensive for a kitchen though.

You would not need to rewire if you can get access to the ceiling area
Don't know about your house, but surely that means ceiling out or floor up. Very intrusive...

If you are happy with white only then there are compatible bulbs as well. For example Innr do a good range that I use and integrate with the same Philips controller for half the price, in areas where white is being used. There is no difference between them in any of the apps or controller...

Oh I would live Hue in the kitchen but a) I wouldn't get it past SWMBO and secondly I have 16 bulbs so would be pricey even with Innr.

I have Hue Bulbs elsewhere :)

I know where the ceiling wiring is so its the case of either one floorboard up upstairs, which I know requires carpet up but is relatively straight forward. Or a small hole from below which isn't ideal because of making good afterwards. Depends on the OP house really.

Erm... Wouldn't a LightwaveRF dual-gang switch (replacing the original lightswitch) along with the already purchased Wire-Free Lightswitch suffice? As this would control the master lights switch and could be placed in a more convenient area

Fabien

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom