Question Smart lighting

daftpunk1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
looking to add some automated lighting to upstairs bathroom. We are fitting a new bathroom and I want rid of the pull cord. I would actually jus fit a facepla outside the bathroom but there is no room outside, not even an a architrave switch.

So looking to get a smart light that will turn on when door opens etc...does ikea have anything in this range. We have a couple of their tradfri bulbs that work well.

Also looking to do something with our utility room, seems spark overlooked fitting a 2 way switch so you can turn on utility room light from kitchen.

Rather than chase a back box in and rip through ceiling, I’m thinking some sort of smart bulb might work...

Both of the things you want could be achieved with smart bulbs.

I've got some experience with Tradfri, being charitable I'd say it's cheaper for a reason. I'm a Philips Hue user and think it's worth every penny extra compared to the IKEA devices.

Motion sensor,

The Tradfri motion sensor is linked directly with the bulb you want it to control. Other than some small dials on the sensor itself (for sensitivity and time I believe) there's no way to configure what you want to happen. You don't even need an IKEA Tradfri hub, even if you had a hub the sensor can't be configured in the app at all

Philips hue has a motion sensor but it needs the Hue Hub and is fully configutable so you can have different actions at different times, for exple a nice dim scene late at night etc etc.

Wireless switches

You can get wireless remote switches for Tradfri. They're a bit cheap and plastic but could do the job. Again even if you have a Tradfri Hub the switches pair directly with the bulbs you want to control and only offer basic functionality.

Hue has a Wireless Dimmer that you can program in the Hue app, even better you can use a 3rd party app to gain complete flexibility in programming the buttons.

Bear in mind any smart bulb has to have the actual switch left on all the time, I've installed my hue dimmers over the top of a blanking plate covering the original switch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom