Smart Lighting - where to start

kah22

Established Member
Reaction score
in Smart Lighting Philips Hue seems to be the major player but their products are expensive. I’m thinking of opting for Innr bulbs for two reasons: price and compatibility. My thinking would be that one manufacturers ‘White’ would be different from another manufacturers ‘White and its best to stick with one brand.

Now here is my question: I have an Amazon Alexa and two smart plugs an Amazon and a Tp-Link. If I just order a few bulbs from Innr could I get a reasonable feel about this smart lighting before splashing out on the Philips Hub. I’m thinking it might give me an opportunity to see at first hand what it’s all about. At this time I would be thinking of buying three bulbs for a chandelier.

As always thanks for your feedback

Kevin

Last edited:
Be aware that using ‘smart bulbs’ in ceiling fittings requires that you don’t use the light switch as these devices require permanent power to them. This is a long standing area of discussion. Hue ‘fanboys’ will argue that this is not a problem. As a HA integrator I will tell you that it very much is. It is preferable to have some form of smart light switch rather than smart bulbs. That said, in my own home, I use Hue bulbs in standard or table lamps as it is easier for these not to be turned on and off compared to ceiling lights.

Be aware that using ‘smart bulbs’ in ceiling fittings requires that you don’t use the light switch as these devices require permanent power to them. This is a long standing area of discussion. Hue ‘fanboys’ will argue that this is not a problem. As a HA integrator I will tell you that it very much is. It is preferable to have some form of smart light switch rather than smart bulbs. That said, in my own home, I use Hue bulbs in standard or table lamps as it is easier for these not to be turned on and off compared to ceiling lights.

Thank you for the reply. I was aware of the ceiling light issue, if I decide to go down the Smart road I’ll have my nephew cover the switch or leave it on a permeant on (as a spark I think he could possibly do that.

I’m only after thinking if I were to do a test on one ceiling light would I need a hub or could I work from their or the Tp-Link app.

Kevin

My understand is to comply with Building Regulations, each light fitting or fittings should have at least one switch that can isolate that fitting for safety purposes. Removing the switch altogether (as I understand it) would be a breach of this requirement.

Innr bulbs are Zigbee (the same as Hue) and would therefore require some form of Hub to operate them.

At this time I would be thinking of buying three bulbs for a chandelier.

Having smart bulbs for a chandelier seems a waste as you are very unlikely to ever want to control the bulbs independently so are wasting money on smart technology built into the bulbs.

I’ve taken the jump! Bought the Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Mini Starter Kit B22 costing @£70. Had I bought the same but with 3 bulbs it would have costed an extra £80 ! So buyer beware

What I did do was buy the above with a Philips Hue White & Color Ambiance B22 Colour Bulb from eBay at £31. Hopefully that will let me see how they look in my chandelier.

As I mentioned before Philips bulbs are expensive so I think next time I’ll look at some other company’s offering

I hadn’t thought of what sbriggs said about controlling the bulbs individually, however, there are other places I could use them. As a matter of interest what would you suggest for a 3 bulb chandelier

Hi, I've just done something similar and got a Hue Starter kit and soon realised about the issue with the light switch - generally it getting switched off so the lights no longer worked.
I got some great advice here and eventually went with the Hue Dimmer switch and mounted it on a switch cover. I couldn't be more pleased with the end result. We have 'normal' control of the light if it is turned on or off at the switch - but it can still be controlled smartly too.
Bonus is I set it up using the Hue Essentials app and this gived full control over what each button can do - one press, two press, three press etc, as well as 'Hold', 'Release after a press' and 'Release after a hold'.
You can even control different lights with each button and activate scenes too.
You can remove the switch to carry around if you want to - and the back clicks onto the cover great and can easily be removed to show the traditional switch behind (in its 'on' position)..

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, I've just done something similar and got a Hue Starter kit and soon realised about the issue with the light switch - generally it getting switched off so the lights no longer worked.
I got some great advice here and eventually went with the Hue Dimmer switch and mounted it on a switch cover. I couldn't be more pleased with the end result. We have 'normal' control of the light if it is turned on or off at the switch - but it can still be controlled smartly too.
Bonus is I set it up using the Hue Essentials app and this gived full control over what each button can do - one press, two press, three press etc, as well as 'Hold', 'Release after a press' and 'Release after a hold'.
You can even control different lights with each button and activate scenes too.
You can remove the switch to carry around if you want to - and the back clicks onto the cover great and can easily be removed to show the traditional switch behind (in its 'on' position)..

Could you post a link to switch you used. Please. Thanks.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Was checking my Amazon order when I noticed that the starter kit I ordered was coming from America and would take 1 to 2 months ! So I cancelled

Done a sweep of the internet and discovered the same price at Argos, ordered yesterday, lifting today.

From the little research I’ve carried out it looks to me that prices in the UK for this kind of kit is much more expensive than elsewhere. But I might be researching in the wrong places

Which kit did you go for?
Lots of kits/deals seem to be for E27 bulbs whereas UK tends to be B22 bulbs.

Was careful this time
https://***********/y2xpt583

Ah, it’s not giving the link. Try this

https. :// tinyurl. com/ y2xpt583

My bulbs have arrived and are in place. Of course I had great fun creating all types of colours but I don’t want funky light all of the time I’ll want/need white, but I can’t figure out how to set up a day white light, something I’d want in the evening if eg reading a newspaper or maybe when people visit

Can you advise me how I might achieve this. I know I can reset the bulbs but that defeats the reason for having smart lights

in this case it’s the operator who is dim
Kevin

My bulbs have arrived and are in place. Of course I had great fun creating all types of colours but I don’t want funky light all of the time I’ll want/need white, but I can’t figure out how to set up a day white light, something I’d want in the evening if eg reading a newspaper or maybe when people visit

Can you advise me how I might achieve this. I know I can reset the bulbs but that defeats the reason for having smart lights

in this case it’s the operator who is dim
Kevin

In the app, tap on the room and you should have these buttons - energize will give you a very white light
D91FBA42-AF01-43F3-9D30-764F198BBA0F.jpeg
65EBFB18-ADE0-439F-92AB-5CD65F630D6B.jpeg

w Smart Lighting Philips Hue wydaje się być głównym graczem, ale ich produkty są drogie. Zastanawiam się nad wyborem żarówek Innr z dwóch powodów: ceny i kompatybilności. Myślę, że jeden producent „biały” byłby inny niż „biały” innych producentów i najlepiej trzymać się jednej marki.

Teraz moje pytanie: mam Amazon Alexa i dwie inteligentne wtyczki Amazon i Tp-Link. Gdybym tylko zamówił kilka żarówek od Innr, czy mógłbym mieć rozsądne wyczucie tego inteligentnego oświetlenia przed rozpryskiem na Philips Hub. Myślę, że to może dać mi możliwość zobaczenia z pierwszej ręki, o co w tym wszystkim chodzi. W tej chwili myślałem o zakupie trzech żarówek do żyrandola.

Jak zawsze dziękuję za twoją opinię

Kevin
Mega aplikacja polecam ( blubs Philips Hue) Vision - Smart Voice Assistant - Apps on Google Play

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom