Smart Light Bulbs

Paul Simons

hi,

I'm currently trying to organise and smart tech my house. there seems to be a load of different makes and models of light bulbs out there, is there a specific brand or model that seem to do all types and shapes of bulbs, and that work well with amazon echo.

I currently have an amalgamation of hive, kasa electric socket plugs and sockets and also a few phillips bulbs but want tp specifically get everything the same and have one standard use on one system and app and not over multiple apps etc.

Also anyone know any good smart device or app that can be used on a tablet to run such home automation. i want to eventually get to a point where i can have a tablet or device that i can control lights, and plugs etc for the whole house from one system tieing them all in together

many thanks

D

Deleted member 24354

You are coming at the same problem from 2 ends. If you look to use a Hub or some smart home software then it won’t care what your devices are. Or you can try and standardise on one brand so you only have one app. Personally the former is the way you want to go if you want true HA.

I run Homeseer, with Shelly, Fibaro, Wemo, Hue, generic Zigbee, it doesn’t care. I still have one app, but the best of all worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Personally I try and avoid smart bulbs wherever I can and go straight to smart switches. Way better in the long term in my opinion.

Bryn1

Or, if you don't mind tinkering and don't want to limit yourself to a single brand and still have the ability to have all control centralised through a single app/interface have a look at home assistant

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
You are coming at the same problem from 2 ends. If you look to use a Hub or some smart home software then it won’t care what your devices are. Or you can try and standardise on one brand so you only have one app. Personally the former is the way you want to go if you want true HA.

I run Homeseer, with Shelly, Fibaro, Wemo, Hue, generic Zigbee, it doesn’t care. I still have one app, but the best of all worlds.

Homeseer is the app?

D

Deleted member 24354

Homeseer is the app?
Homeseer is a Home Automation Platform - basically an engine that runs in the background processing rule sets. When I was talking about apps, I was thinking more about manufacturers brand specific app designed to control their hardware, such as Philips Hue, Tuya, eWeLink, TP Link Tether etc. The problem with apps is you often need a different one for each hardware platform. Which is fine if you buy into a single brand or ecosystem. But much like hifi, mixing and matching gets you the best of all worlds. Some brands are particularly good at certain devices and some are good but come with a hefty price tag or limitations. If you are happy to live with the limitations that’s fine, and some people are. But for many it can be a stretch too far and hence more people want ways to integrate more brands together, which is not always easy without a hub.
So to answer your question, Homeseer does have an app, and it’s awful, I never really use it. But HA are not about apps that you use to make things happen, it’s about the HA platform doing that for you based on events, triggers, timers or other variables or inputs. These can be the flick of a switch, time of day, PIR, SMS, binary input, temperature change, multiple events in a sequence, voice command, geofence, joining a network the sky is the limit, it’s up to you to choose.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom