smart hub bt - wake on lan not possible?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by ricflairandy, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Has anyone tried this?. I tried but it appears that it just isnt possible on any of these BT routers. Its a bit of a joke as Wake on lan is required really.

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    There's no reason it shouldn't be possible, your BT router couldn't care less about local LAN traffic and pass all of it including WOL magic packets unhindered.

However, do ensure you understand the paradigm correctly - it's wake on LAN not wake on WAN. Both the device to be awoken and the device doing the waking up need to be attached to the local network (LAN.) If you're expecting to do this from an Internet connected device, (Wake On WAN,) that's a whole different story and WOL isn't designed to facilitate that.

Also, the device to be awoken has to be capable of being woken up (by no means all are) and "quiesced" into the appropriate "sleep" mode in order to be woken up. (That may require MOBO settings changes and/or "special" ways of shutting down depending on your OS.) Then the initiating device needs to be able to send correctly formatted magic packets, though that's much easier and there's plenty of apps and utilities that can do so.

Also worth noting WOL works less well with Wi-Fi target devices - it's a lot more fickle.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    I have a Smart Hub & WOL works just fine. I have a Windows Home Server which is woken whenever one of my Squeezebox players comes out of standby. So the router isn't the problem.

4. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Used it for years on my old home hub 3 and 4 with no issues.

5. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    How do you configure it to accept magic packets. It doesn't seem to work on the BT smart hub

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    I haven't configured anything. As said above, the data should be shuffled around the LAN unmolested. WOL will depend on transmitting & receiving devices. Check the WOL settings on the NIC of the receiving device.

What are you trying to wake & with what?

Edit
    This may be useful in determining what is being sent/received.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    steamlink, apps on phone, apps on another pc. Nothing seems to wake the main pc up.

8. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    Sounds like an issue with the target PC - what is it and what steps have you taken to make/ensure it's a WOL'able device...?

Have you ever had it working?

9. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Never, but everything is enabled. Nothing happens at all when you try to wake on lan. IVe been throuhg countless instructions on what to enable

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    Can you post the exact make/model of the PC and the Operating System (version) it's running.

Basically there's only three aspects to WOL:

1: Something needs to create and send a correctly formatted "magic packet" to wake the target. These are usually sent as network broadcasts (sent to all station,) though they don't have to be.

2: The network infrastructure needs to deliver such packets. SOHO Routers (or more correctly the ethernet switch and Wi-Fi AP built into a router) do not discriminate between one type of traffic and another - they deliver everything. It's only the router/firewall that make any discrimination and that only affects traffic to/from the Internet.

3: Then the target device needs to respond to the magic packet on receipt.

1 & 2 can be checked using some form of network packet sniffer as suggested a few post back. If we prove that, then any remaining issues must be with 3 and the could be down to the hardware and/or OS.

Conversely, of course, if we don't prove 1 & 2, then even if 3 is "perfect" it still won't wake as by definition, the target has not have been asked to. So to be forensic, one would have to prove 1, then prove 2, then address 3.

Regarding magic packet generators, if at all possible I'd suggest you use one that designates the target using it's MAC Address rather than an IP Address or host name. The latter two rely on IP to MAC Address translation and Hostname to IP translation which, whilst not exactly difficult, are added complexity - especially if we're talking about a host that is powered off.

"Sniffing" network packets isn't for the feint hearted, but to be sure the magic packets are being created and delivered successfully, there really isn't any other option.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    You also don't say from what state you are attempting to wake the PC. If WOL is supported by BIOS & NIC, it may not wake from deep sleep or hibernation.

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Sorry, that sniffer I linked to earlier doesn't seem to work for me. Probably linked to a single UDP port. Try this one instead

Welcome To Depicus - Home of the Geek

You will need to know which UDP port the device generating the WOL packet is using. I've just tested it using Squeezebox's port 7.

It can run on any machine on the network to see if the packet is being generated. Then run it on the target PC to check it's receiving it. If the packet is being generated & received OK then the problem is with BIOS/NIC setting on the target.

Attached Files: