Question Smart Home Power Switches (do they need the internet ?)

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am getting into the home automation game and wanted to know which are the best smart power switches as it seems Belkin WeMo Switch or TP link switch crop up more than anything.

the question is do these plugs need internet as I am not to keen on this as I don't want to remote access the plugs apart from inside my house on my own wi-fi network and want them to still work if the internet goes down.

I have herd you must have an account with tp link for these to work and is this true ?. which plug would you recommend and which is the more stable as it has to be 100% wife friendly, lol.

another thing I am thinking of getting a echo dot and a Logitech harmony remote do these need an always on internet to make the sockets work or can these devices all work together without the internet and just use my in home wifi ?

thanks for any help or advice on this new interesting automation.

Most smart things use the cloud. I have an echo dot and nest, lifx bulbs and all requests go to the cloud

Yep I understand the dot needs the Internet as it's voice activated. but what I would like to know is if I just had the harmony remote to control the sockets do you still need the Internet.

I just find it strange You would need the Internet to control in home equipment on your local network.

And about the Amazon dot could you not just use the voice commands to control the devices as you would of already assigned the plugs to it, why does it need the Internet for that. I do understand if you ask it a question

Just trying to understand how it all works. Thanks. Oh just bought a harmony companion remote today to.

I have read that the hue light system does not need the Internet as it uses it own hub to connect to your local wifi and you only need the Internet part if you want to control the lights Out side of your home.

ok thanks what about the plugs do these need the internet or local wifi as I am not to interested in giving out my info and more registration just for plugs as it seems silly to register just to use home plugs as I have no interest in using the plugs when I am not there.

just got my dot and I am very impressed by it, I find it better than siri and it understands me very well which I am surprised. still have not worked out the traffic part as I have entered my home address and work address which is 30 miles away and just gives me the distance and time, I would of thought it might give me traffic reports or bad traffic reports.

thanks

I dont know those plugs so couldnt say , we use Fibaro system and their Zwave plugs dont

The echo sends a request to the cloud which in turn send it to whatever your trying to controls cloud and then sent down. Alexa won't control anything unless it's cloud based.
Most smarthings work in this manner. Most only require simple login details, email password etc.

Actually she does search internally on the network for smarthings but the skill needs a login to the cloud.
It is quite confusing I suppose.

Thanks all

So what plugs are best to go for or are all plugs the same. I have read that some people want ifttt what is that and is it useful.

Thanks

looks like Samsung smart things is the only hub that supports

echo dot and Logitech harmony remote and ifTTT as you can control home plugs and hue with this hub as the tp and belkin don't support the harmony remote

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom