Question Smart heating solution - radiator covers & individual room control

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Lowe89, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Lowe89

Lowe89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a solution for the below:

In our house we have a 2 zone unvented (non smart) heating system: 1 zone for the basement with its own thermostat and then another zone and thermostat covering the 3 floors above. Maybe 11 radiators in total. I would like to not only switch to smart heating but be able to shut on/off individual rooms at certain times of day. For example, only one of the bedrooms and the bathroom should heat up on weekday mornings, yet the nursery should always stay within a certain temp range 24/7. My initial research led me to smart radiator valves by tado. The problem is we have radiator covers, which would distort temperature readings taken at the valves themselves (much hotter under the rad cover than room temp). I found nest's smart temp sensors, which may allow me to measure temp outside of radiator covers but it's not ifttt linked (only communicating directly with a nest thermostat), so it's not like i could use it to then switch on a (tado) radiator valve in a room.

What would people with experience in this stuff advise?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Stu MSD

Stu MSD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi,
    I have just installed a Honeywell Evohome system and believe that it’s features will cover all your needs, Including being able to inform the smart TRV of the temperature offset between rad and room.

As an example, I have ten rads and one boiler covering 6 rooms.
    Each room has its own program that allows 6 temperature and time programming points per day, for the whole 7 days.

There is an App to control the whole system too, so I can hit a button and fire up my home office if I want to go home and work. Otherwise, that room (my loft) stays off all week.

Love mine, one of my favourite purchases in recent years.

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Ignore setting offsets on the radiator controller and instead use a separate wireless room sensor in each zone. It’s goong to be more expensive but without accurate room temperature measurement you cannot possibly control the heating accurately.

Honeywell Wvo has a range of room sensor options that work with their smart TRVs, and I’d be surprised if Tado do not also have something similar.