Smart dimmer switch help

monkeydude7230

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently obtained as smart WiFi dimmer switch for my bedroom, but am a bit mythed, it requires 2 lives and a neutral, I have one live, one neutral and the earth, and switch has markings ~, L1 and L, when the live is in the L, and neutral in ~, the switch lights up, but doesn't control the light at all (stays off), and live in L1, nothing at all, in the manual it has 2 lives, can anyone help, even if it is a bodge jobby, cheers

What you probably need is a live (line) and switched live (line) and neutral, that is the 2nd most common for a standard UK switch (1st is live and switched live)

Most wifi/smart switches need a neutral

Do you have a wiring diagram for the switch and also a picture of your wiring ?

Here you go, 1st pic is the diagram, 2nd, my wiring, red being live, and 3rd is the new switch, I have neutral and live, just not what I believe is switched live, as far as I'm aware, switched live is done in my light fixture

Attachments

• 20210319_171110.jpg
    20210319_171110.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210319_171303.jpg
    20210319_171303.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210319_171323.jpg
    20210319_171323.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 62
I would suggest what you have there is

Live (line) - Red
Switched Live (line) - Black with Red sleeve
Earth (?) - Green

Okay, I'll have a go with that, so I'm guessing I can't use my switch if I don't have neutral, but, forgot to say, but I'm upgrading my dimmer switch from a basic one to this smart one, my current one has 4 connections, one occupied by earth, then L1, L1 and a ~ with an arrow through, so I don't know if the ~ is live, switched live or neutral

Last edited:
without a neutral that smart switch wont work, you could add a Shelly Dimmer 2 module, as that doesnt need neutral and use a retractive 2 way centre off standard light switch

Okay, I'll have a go with that, so I'm guessing I can't use my switch if I don't have neutral, but, forgot to say, but I'm upgrading my dimmer switch from a basic one to this smart one, my current one has 4 connections, one occupied by earth, then L1, L1 and a ~ with an arrow through, so I don't know if the ~ is live, switched live or neutral
If you have four outs as seb states a common for a 2 way light switch. Presumably as well as the dimmer you have a switch controlling it somewhere else in the room. Having that switch isn’t necessarily a good idea either with a smart switch.

@ChuckMountain I think those are just the labels on the old manual dimmer switch not the cables he has at the wall

Ah ok wasn't sure what he meant by the existing one, but yes if only 3 wires, like you say is limited to something like the shelly.

Also probably needs a deeper back box regardless as the one he has probably won't fit anyway.

I must admit to taking the simpler solution and just using a smart bulb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom