Smart Cars

S

SmartSue

Hi, Does anyone drive a FourTwo Smart car. If so, has anyone had any probs with shock absorber springs breaking?? I have a 2002 Pulse which has done 16000 miles and one of the springs went wallop last week. Have heard this is a common fault with the Smarts?? Wanted to know if it is .

My children have a couple of Kinder Egg Samrt cars so call them Kinder cars

wife has got an 05 passion smart with really low mileage so cant say we've experienced the issue. hope we wont either

Graham , I consider my Smart Pulse quite low mileage at 16,000m, but I have spoken to quite a few other people on a Smart web site, and unfortunately this is a common fault. The suspension coil springs get chipped by stones from the road, and the water gets in and rusts the springs. Apparently Smart garages know this, but will only try to reclaim the payment if you let them do the work, and I have heard so many horror stories about Merc garages messing up Smart cars I am getting my trusty mechanic to do the work.

her low mileage will be about 1000 miles :) - she very rarely racks up more than 2k per year

I only do about 1000k a year, the car had 15700 miles on it when I bought it in May of this year. But I have heard the less miles you do the more these cars go wrong!! I found out the suspension springs are a major fault on these cars but MCC smart wont recall them. I hope your wifes car is OK and she doesn't get any of the probs I have encountered already with mine. I am regretting the day I got a Smart car!

Just did a search for smart car.
No doubt, by now, you have your suspension sorted. The problem was corrosion on some smart front springs.
smart cars are generally reliable but, like all models (Rolls Royce included) they do sometimes have a problem.
I am a smart enthusiast and attend many smart meets throughout the year. I asure you there are many, very happy and satisfied, owners out there. :)

Bat-man said:
smart cars are generally reliable but, like all models (Rolls Royce included) they do sometimes have a problem.

Not according to Rolls Royce they don't.........lol :D

Layne RIP said:
Not according to Rolls Royce they don't.........lol :D
Whilst going to a smart meet in St. Ives I got chatting to this chap with his Rolls. The radiator header tank (I think) had split and there was boiling water and steam all over the place. The car was only about six months old! :eek:

I used to know a guy that own one years ago (before BMW)... he took it to France and it broke down brake master cylinder i think it was, so he phoned RR and told them the problem, they found him a local grease monkey, shipped the part over express delivery and told him they'd sort it out with him later.
Anyway a few weeks after returning to the UK he phoned RR asking them about payment for all this as he hadn't had a bill...

Their reply was "sorry sir i don't understand, Rolls Royces don't brake down" !!!!

Now that's what i call customer service ;)

hello just had a spring go on my smart, it is an 03. My husbands mate is going to put a new one on for me. Went on ebay got them for 44 pounds a pair , you have to take the front off and head light out to put it on, so glad he can do it. Hope this helps.

hello just had a spring go on my smart, it is an 03. My husbands mate is going to put a new one on for me. Went on ebay got them for 44 pounds a pair , you have to take the front off and head light out to put it on, so glad he can do it. Hope this helps.

4 year old thread alert!

Liam

Hi the front springs breaking were quite common that is why smart actually brought out a recall for them to replace them under warranty regardless of the age of the vehicle.

I would personally check with a smart dealer to see if the recall was valid for your vehicle and whether it has been carried out.

If it has been carried out i would find out when and it may still be under warranty for the new springs they had fitted

Hi, Does anyone drive a FourTwo Smart car. If so, has anyone had any probs with shock absorber springs breaking?? I have a 2002 Pulse which has done 16000 miles and one of the springs went wallop last week. Have heard this is a common fault with the Smarts?? Wanted to know if it is .
I have just got my first Smartie ( 4 year old one ) and it the first care I have ever had that makes me smile just looking at it :)
Just had one problem with it and it seems to need the vac clutch adjusted whatever the hell that is :D
Happy Smarties people.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom