1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Smart' buttons on a universal remote - do they exist?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by sdh500, Aug 25, 2003.

1. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a universal remote control which has buttons that can learn multiple features?

For example, the search buttons << and >> on my Arcam DVD player when pressed ONCE will search forwards or backwards at x2 speed. But if I press either button TWICE it will search at x4 speed. Press it again and it searches at x8 speed and so on. However, when I try and program my Yamaha remote control to operate this feature, the button only seems to have learnt to search at x2 speed.

Another example is the Subtitle button on the DVD remote control. If I press it once it turns on the subtitles. Press it again and it gives me subtitles in a different language, then another and so on. But the Yamaha remote only seems to have learnt to display the first instruction: i.e. to turn the subtitles on. Nothing else.

Is this par for the course with universal remotes? In other words, if I wanted to see search at x8 speed, is it normal to have to create a x2, a x4 AND a x8 button?

Thanks in advance

2. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Typically, these sort of buttons send the same signal each time and the device itself deciddes what to do with it, but if you are really getting the results you describe, it sounds like the button on the original remote changes the signal sent with subsequent presses. In which case, you would need to learn the one button to three different buttons on your universal (one for each speed).

3. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Another possibility (if you're VERY VERY lucky) is that your kit has discrete IR codes to perform these operations. It's pretty unlikely but it's worth trawling Remote Central discrete code section (and forums) for some more information. Failing that, a polite email to the manufacturers technical support might give some useful help (but don't hold your breath).

4. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    another possiblilty is you didn't get a 'clean' learn of the code.

most arcam remotes use RC5 codes and they're pretty good at publishing them, so if you haven't got them in the manual try the website or try speaking to arcam support.

5. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I'm currently looking into RC5 and discrete IR codes, but in the meantime I've discovered a quick fix. I've noticed that on the Yamaha if I press 'Clear' after each press of a programmed 'toggle' button, I can cycle through all that button's features without any problems.

So this means that the Yamaha button has in fact learnt the entire code but that each individual signal must first be cleared before it can transmit the next.

Strange, but it works :clap:

6. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Arcam is really using the RC5 infrared protocol, your results are to be expected. The problem with RC5 is that there's a toggle bit which changes each time the button is pressed. When you learn this signal, you only learn the toggle bit in one state, so subsequent presses of the learned button won't work.

Your workaround is a good one, pressing a different button in between will reset the toggle.

7. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Robman :)