Smallville - views?

B

Beek1

Okay, I don't know what everyone else makes of this series (if anyone else is actually watching it), but am I the only one who thinks that after a promising start and a couple of good episodes (the foreshadowing of Lex's future in Casandra's vision was particularly sweet) that it is heading rapidly down hill?

To begin with the character interplay and the burgeoning homoerotic subtext of Clark and Lex's friendship was pretty entertaining. Add to this the mystery of Clark's unblemished and curiously orange skin and you have all the makings of compelling weekly TV. But now the show has been completely taken over by tedious Kryptonite-mutants-of-the-week, every one of which appears to have walked in from a particularly bad episode of The X Files. Every bloody week it's the same thing, somebody gets infected by Kryptonite, becomes a novelty (and incredibly lame) villain and gets defeated at the end. Yawn!

Last week's episode (which I only caught on the Sunday repeat - hense the late post) was undoubtedly the worst to date. Despite featuring the wonderful Tony Todd, the idea of pitting Clark against a hyperactive epileptic was one of the most ludicrous things I've seen in a long time, and the script was about as banal as they come.

Don't get me wrong, I love superhero stuff, but this is starting to sink to depths that even Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman didn't manage to get to.

Sort of agree with you, it started out good and was nice to see super powerd villains, but I would like them with brains to match their powers. Then good plots, and not Lex Luther villan every week.
How big is Smallville!

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

yeah, i was quite enjoying it to begin with, but haven't seen it for a few weeks, so i haven't seen these "bad" episodes, plus i'm quite fond of the blonde reporter/newspaper type girl in it...

Originally posted by mjn
yeah, i was quite enjoying it to begin with, but haven't seen it for a few weeks, so i haven't seen these "bad" episodes

Its not bad rather, the plots seem repetitive. Must say most programs are.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

The trouble with the show is that they are trying to keep it rooted too deeply in reality. As a result they need a really convincing reason for all these superpowered freaks turning up all over the place.

Buffy has the Hell Mouth, Smallville has Kryptonite. However, the former has been so successful because it doesn't try to be so real. Smallville's producers need to realise that Superman's universe is not supposed to mirror the real world. It's full of other super heroes and villains, aliens, magic and demons, and in that world they are not out of place.

They need to stop trying to minimise the unbelievable in Smallville. It's set in the DC Universe for crying out loud.

I too have been watching it. It is ok but would like to know if the show is cut a 6PM and if it is uncut on E4 repeat fridays at 8pm ?

Change of plot tonight.
Kelly Brooke in tonight but that accent! Why is it that when out actresses do a series out there they get that strange accent, except Daphne in Frazer.

:cool: Ruby quatz shades.

Muchly improved episode tonight. Always better when they concentrate on the growth of Superman and not on cheap dispensable super-freaks.

Good episode.

FAO Paul Young,

Sadly, C4 and E4 show the censored version, regardless of the time slot, which is a joke!

Essentially, they're doing the exact same thing as they did to "Angel" when that first aired on C4!

Until a DVD or video release comes out, I wouldn't hold your breath for either channel to show it uncut.

If you want to complain about the way C4 and E4 treat your fave shows, then feel free to sign the petition at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Pooch24/petition.html

Thanks,

Pooch

Sighed under real, real name.

Glad you included Babylon 5, I was dis-chuffed to stop up till after 1am to se an un-cut showing.
I also disliked how the showed the opening Episode of Stargaze with that flaming big T4 dog, and it was cut, for instance when the woman who was guarding the Stargate on Earth was taken the Apothis, it showed her bare back, and when she was killed a very small amount off blood ran from the corner of her mouth, they were both cut, yet far worse is shown in the afternoons.

Definitely signing that.

I remember Channel 4 making the decision not to air the first two episodes of a new series of Homicide because it was about 12 months after the Dunblane incident, and the episodes had :eek: guns! :eek: in them!!! How pathetic. The number of guns and bullets fires on terrestrial TV that week I would have lost count trying to keep track of. Never did show those episodes either.

And Babylon 5... what did that show ever do to deserve being shown by Channel 4? And Angel? And Stargate? Plus all the other potential shows that get a timeslot after 2am.

Why does the channel have no faith in such shows? It can be seen by their feeling they have to subtitle Smallville with 'Superman, The Early Years!', when this isn't even in the bloody title. I'm just waiting for the day C4 get bored of Smallville and begin airing it on a Monday morning at 3am.

Thank god I just bought a Tivo.

Originally posted by pointon
Definitely signing that.

I remember Channel 4 making the decision not to air the first two episodes of a new series of Homicide because it was about 12 months after the Dunblane incident, and the episodes had :eek: guns! :eek: in them!!! How pathetic. The number of guns and bullets fires on terrestrial TV that week I would have lost count trying to keep track of. Never did show those episodes either.

And Babylon 5... what did that show ever do to deserve being shown by Channel 4? And Angel? And Stargate? Plus all the other potential shows that get a timeslot after 2am.

Why does the channel have no faith in such shows? It can be seen by their feeling they have to subtitle Smallville with 'Superman, The Early Years!', when this isn't even in the bloody title. I'm just waiting for the day C4 get bored of Smallville and begin airing it on a Monday morning at 3am.

Thank god I just bought a Tivo.
Or Lois and Clark being renamed The New Adventures of Superman, them there was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (the word Ninja being banned).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom