1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallville on E4 Logo Free

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Logo Hater, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My LNB was duff on Monday, so I asked my daughter to record Smallville for me, I have had to wait till earlier this evening to be able to watch it.

Did anyone else notice that it was Logo free, is this a new policy by Channel 4/E4? I checked E4 after I had watched the video and friends was on, with an E4 Logo. So have E4 done a BBC Three/Four and removed it for programmes which are likely to attract the most viewers, or was it a mistake.

I would suggest it was deliberate because they did what Channel Five have done since the removal of their Logo, it appeared in the Ad breaks.

If this is official Channel policy I will be emailing them with a great big thank you for demonstrating common sense.:clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Watching it now and there is an E4 Second Chance in the top LH corner.:mad:

3. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes Garrett, I know, I checked and was disgusted (my LNB has been relaced so I now have my Sky back).

I have to assume that it was just a mistake, but I will watch tomorrow to see what happens, it seems strange though if it was a mistake, because it re-appeared straight away on the next programme.

I HATE LOGOS :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,945
    Thought I would point out that Stargate yesterday was logo free also.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Smallville on E4 Logo Free

It must have been a mistake there is a logo up now with E4 and BRAND NEW aside it.
    Also the dreaded red dot is there.:mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I despair at the stupidity of this.

The cretins that are responsible for doing this to TV pictures should not be allowed to run TV channels, I would like just one of them to justify to us the viewers, but they won't, or can't.:mad: :mad:

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you press backup the red dot will disappear, but it comes back again after the adverts! I worked out how much I pay sky per hour of viewing any sort of decent program, you do not want to know.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    pwiles, this has been mentioned in other threads before, but if you press the red button, then immediately press backup, the red dot will not come back ever unless you change channels.

Greg

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    The thing is if you are out and you record it.:mad:

Oh I do know about both the red dot tricks.;)

10. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In reponse to your question about logos I think I can offer significant insight as I work for a major digital channel.

Significant research has been done which concluded that if you have a logo of a quality brand in the corner of the screen i.e "E4," "Sky One" etc. Viewers are far less likely to channel hop, and give the programme a chance before moving on. Also to have a label such as "BRAND NEW" tells the viewer that this is a new programme and the viewer again is far less likely to channel hop. This especially helps with things like new episodes of Smallville, Friends, Simpsons, where there are a lot of repeats of these shows.

Generrally most people are not averse to a logo in the corner and find addtional text useful - it only becomes annoying to them if there is too much text, also the people who tend to find it most annoying are those who want to illegally record a copy of this programme for their collection.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    All I can say to them comments of the people I know non of the above comments apply. Why would people spend fortunes on TV’s etc and want the picture ruined, they would be quick enough to gat the screen cleaned if there was a dirty mark on it which is less of a distraction. Also in some cases the logo can cause damage to equipment i.e. screen burn.

12. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Mark.

I find your remarks very interesting, your implication that research proves that Logos attract viewers especially. Please tell me where I can see such evidence, please show all the members of Logofree TV, more than 1500 and the 7000 who who have signed the What Video petition pleading for their removal and expressing real anger and frustration at the TV Executives who insist on having them.

Please show me where it tells us viewers that recording Television Programmes to view on our own in our homes at a time convenient for us is illegal. Please show me where any Television Broadcaster anywhere, anytime has ever claimed that this is the reason for having them.

Tell me why not one film channel that people can cancel the subscriptions to have them, in case you don't know, it's because each time they were introduced so many viewers cancelled their subscriptions that they were removed in a couple of days.

Does this sound to you like people don't mind them, I personally hate them with a passion, there are thousands more who aren't as vocal about them, but hate them nevetheless.

If you want real research, ask one simple question, would viewers prefer to have them or prefer a clean screen, having paid nearly £2000 for mine I know what I want.:mad: :mad: :mad:

P.S. Just need to add, 'cos I nearly forgot. If so called illegal recording is a problem, why will it be shown on Channel 4 later in the year Logo Free. The argument about illegal videoing is nonsense.

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The argument about illegal videoing of programmes is ********. Why has my Sky+ got a built in 40gb hard drive? So I can rewind 20 hours of TV if I want to? I don't think so.

14. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When channel hopping who the hell is looking at the corner of the screen, when your electronic Digital TV/information guide tells you what channel you're on and what's actually being shown?

These people really do believe we're as thick as horse **** don't they? Which is obviously why they feel OK to spew it from their mouths.

15. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

I agree wholeheartedly, but at least you will know where to go and get some when it's time to feed the plants which are the subject of your Avatar:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

16. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,961
    Love your user name and "logo". I also hate logos and I ran my own thread Logos/Dogs a while back. Where were you? One thing I picked up on was a system called MHEG which makes the logos optional. Anyone know much about MHEG?

Cheers
    Bri

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A blast from the past thread, this is what happens when a broadcaster slaps it's loyal viewers in the face by delaying the new season:)

MHEG I believe is the middleware used in most if not all DVB-T (Freeview) boxes to generate the onscreen graphics/menus etc, it's does the same thing as the OPEN software on SKY boxes.

In those terms it has no impact on a DOG that is hard encoded into the actual broadcast.

18. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    MHEG doesn't affect logos as stated it is in the broadcast. MHEG is the interactive services. I have MHEG turned off on my PVR's and it stops things like thats stupid red button from working but, it also stops digital teletext from working as well.

19. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,961
    Thanks for the replys. I read some where that broadcasters could use MHEG for their logos so those of us who hate them can switch them off. It'd be a pretty good idea if it could happen. I rang Sky once regarding their HD output. I voiced my concern over the logos. The kind lady told me you can switch them off with the remote. She must think they're using MHEG for logos already.

I didn't know it was MHEG putting that rubbish on the screen and that you may be able to switch it off. I will check my gear.

All the best
    Bri

20. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If the broadcasters must use logos, then dumped them in the bottom right hand corner.

Then they would no longer blot out the faces where the viewers eyes are naturally drawn too.

Oh, I see. That's the reason for placing them in the first place. Indeed a BBC report stated that the Top Left hand corner is the preferred placement for these logos as the human eye naturally reads, left to right, top to bottom.

The argument about illegal copying is moot.

You are legally allowed to time shift broadcasts for later viewing.

And why would I want to archive a year old, low bit rate version of something I can obtain in High-Def with 5.1, logos in the bottom right hand corner away from the action and shown last year?

G

21. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,961
    GETanner

No logos for me at all. Regarding illegal copying if many are willing to pay good money for Sky with logos I don't see why they would be bothered by a recorded DVD with the same.

Cheers
    Bri

22. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Bri,

My personal preference would indeed be no logos at all but it's clear that the bean counters at "Generic Broadcaster Corp" feels that it is a must regardless of the fact that the EPG gives me all the info I need and the fact that at the very moment when viewers are likely to start channel hopping is when the adverts come on and this is the same moment the GBCs remove their valuable logos.

As such, if they must continue with them, take a leaf out of the ABC (US) play book and make it almost 90% transparent, bottom right and out of the 4:3 protected zone.

DOG free is best, what we have though is just not acceptable.

I now use e4 as pilot viewing only.

Watch the first showing. If I like it, then i download the lot from the States.

ER, Smallville, One tree Hill, What About Brian, Ghost Whisperer. All first episodes on e4 then downloads for the rest.

The same applies to Bravo, Living, hallmark and FX.

The only channel I do not download on a regular basis is SkyOne. The logo is annoying but the lack of "brand new", "almost new", "second chance" "no firends now, but it's coming up next" etc and High-Def broadcasts means it's pointless beyond the "must see it now" pull and nothing on Sky makes me want to jump head (isn't 24 crap at the moment?).

Logo, Low res and pointless word banners stop me from watching on e4.

G ( who is about to start a 23 episode marathon of What about Brian ).

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Anyone know when season 6 starts :offtopic: :D

24. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,561
    I'm nearly finished it....upto Episode 18 :D :devil:

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :clap: I guess I should ahve said in the UK and not downloads.

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    July on E4 still seems to be favourite.

27. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,961

28. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    The only program i watch on C4 or E4 is smallville and it looks like i have managed to miss the start/whole of the new series :mad:

Channel 4 really should look to advertise their programs better, maybe using adverts on the more main stream channels like skyone.

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The sixth season of Smallville has not been shown in the UK yet.

30. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    oh cool, then i haven't missed it