• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Smallest Useful LCD Monitor ?

shotokan101

Banned
Folks - in your considered opinion what's the smalles LCD Display necessary for regular photo editing/retouching purposes ? - I'm after both physical size and resolution and feel free to throw any other info. about features or specifications that may be relevant.

Thanks.

Jim

eduk

Distinguished Member
17" 1024 x 768, any less than 768 and Canon Digital Photo Professional won't launch (grrrr!!)

Of course when you can get 23/24" for less than £160 then buying a 17" seems a little silly.

I've been eyeing up some of the 2048 x 1152 models

Compare 2048x1152 Monitors Prices - PriceRunner United Kingdom

Native resolution of a 15" is 1024 x 768 a 17" is usually 1280 x 1024.

I do some editing on my 15" laptop at 1024 x 768. I use a 22" widescreen 1680 x 1050 on my PC.

I preferred not to get a wide gamut monitor, I like to see it as other people would on their non-wide gamut monitors.

Moosh

Prominent Member

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for the responses to date folks - much appreciated :smashin:

...anyone got any feelings about aspect ratio of the display ? I personally don't much like Widescreen monitors and currently use a 4:3 19" CRT at 1600x1200 resolution - though TBF I really do like my 42" Widescreen LCD TV I got a few months back :D

Also will the monitor aspect ratio choice have any future impact if I get a Tablet for editing ?

JIm

OrbitalPete

Prominent Member
Widescreen monitors are fine as long as they're reasonably large and high resolution; however, a 19" 4:3 is far far superior to a 19" widescreen; the amount of screen real estate is technically the same, but a 19" widescreen is far too short to make reading documents practical. If you go widescreen personally I wouldn't look at anything smaller than 22", at 1680x1050 pixels. 4:3 I personally wouldn't go below 19" at 1280x1024.

As far as tablets go, it will have an effect, but most decent tablets allow you to modify the settings accordingly.

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks Pete I think you actually merit a +1 for that as it mirrors my own thoughts :)

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks Pete I think you actually merit a +1 for that as it mirrors my own thoughts :)

Jim

I agree It kind of makes sense although for video , ( editing ) a widescreen is it all the way.
However 22" seems to be the sweet spot. 19 widescreen just seems a bit " squashed" after youve used a 22

shotokan101

Banned
I agree It kind of makes sense although for video , ( editing ) a widescreen is it all the way.
However 22" seems to be the sweet spot. 19 widescreen just seems a bit " squashed" after youve used a 22

Not for me though as my old Sony Vidcam is 4:3 - as is my Finepix S9600 Camera Video and my Olympus P&S Camera Video - none of this HD rubbish for me :D

Jim

eduk

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the responses to date folks - much appreciated :smashin:

...anyone got any feelings about aspect ratio of the display ? I personally don't much like Widescreen monitors and currently use a 4:3 19" CRT at 1600x1200 resolution - though TBF I really do like my 42" Widescreen LCD TV I got a few months back :D

Also will the monitor aspect ratio choice have any future impact if I get a Tablet for editing ?

JIm

I use my 22" to watch films and play games, so wide-screen was a pre-requisite. I moved from a 1600x1200 19" CRT.

The issue I have is that the cheap TN display panel used for my Samsumg LCD doesn't give a great vertical viewing angle, you need to exactly face the centre of the screen, not too high or too low.

You may wish to look out for monitors that have VESA mount points, so that you can replace the supplied stand. I have to have mine on a monitor stand due to the lack of VESA mount points, the supplied stand is not high enough to get around the viewing angle problem. :mad:

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for that Eddie - something most folk probably wouldn't consider.

I've got a 19" - 1280x1024 (4:3) capable monitor sitting in a box that I've never used yet as I couldn't face the resolution drop from 1600x1200 with my "somewhat cluttered" desktop but I might give it a tryout....

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
Not for me though as my old Sony Vidcam is 4:3 - as is my Finepix S9600 Camera Video and my Olympus P&S Camera Video - none of this HD rubbish for me :D

Jim

Your next camcorder will not be 4:3 :they don't make them any more
Also How on earth do you watch video clips on the PC?..:rolleyes:

shotokan101

Banned
Your next camcorder will not be 4:3 :they don't make them any more
Also How on earth do you watch video clips on the PC?..:rolleyes:

"In a Window"..... ;)

JIm

shotokan101

Banned

senu

Distinguished Member
Still got 2 of them :D - and only SD Skybox - not even Sky+ :cool:

Jim
Even Blockbusters dont do VHS anymore, and charity shops kindly decline them as donations......:rolleyes:!
Get your self a tasty Hi Res 24" widescreen LCD.. Sorted . Job done.:devil:

shotokan101

Banned
Even Blockbusters dont do VHS anymore, and charity shops kindly decline them as donations......:rolleyes:!

...just let me know when you've posted it off Senu :thumbsup:

Jim

shotokan101

Banned

5to1

Prominent Member

Or two (did have 3 until my triple head card failed :() :D

IMO it beats the hell out of any other upgrade for productivity. Got mine when they were still expensive, at the current prices am tempted to add a few more and make myself a nice video wall :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom