Smallest 32 Inch LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by roscoe2000, Sep 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi,

I'm after a 32 inch LCD with Freeview on it's mainly going to be used for playing
    xbox 360 on.

It is for a bedroom and it needs to 'slot' into a specific area within a fitted wardrobe so space is tight (both height and width).

I'm looking for the height to be no more than 55cm (including stand) and the width to be no more than 79cm.

Has anybody any suggestions? I've been through a lot and most seem to be ok on width but height is the main issue.

The budget is £600.

A 2nd question is....How much of a gap should you leave over the top of the
    TV. Will it cause problems if the gap is too small?

Thanks for the help.

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Good budget!!!You can get a very very good tv for these money!!!The best is the Samsung LE-32M87 for a little less with 100Hz

3. Scottyyy

Scottyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I can tell you now that the Panasonic TX-LMD70 is 61cm high and 79cm wide.

Not sure if the LXD70 is the same size or not though.

4. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that but I'm trying to find one which is less than 56 cm high.....the Samsung is 57.5.

Thanks anyway for the reply?

Has anybody any other suggestions?

5. fxytimi

fxytimi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    dont get the samsung, no way, for the same price you can get a much much better panasonic TX-32lxd70, much than the m87. the samsung is weak!

6. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Yep I forgot that one...

7. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm struggling to find something that will fit....it looks like I may have to go for a 26 inch one.

8. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    roscoe - I had a similar problem with the 22" in my bedroom (I know, tiny!)....

Only solution I could find in the end was to wall mount it on the side of the cupboard onto a brick wall... the other option was to fit a wooden "beam" inside the cupboard.

If you go for that, you'll open up all sorts of options wrt to screens that will fit.

The Panasonic LXD70 is one of the best under £600, but it does have a slightly wide bezel below the screen.

TX-32LXD70 (click the link)
    Dimensions (W x H x D) (with TV stand)
    791 x 615 x 248 mm
    Dimensions (W x H x D) (w/o TV stand)
    791 x 563 x 117 mm (NOT GOING TO FIT AT ALL)

This is it's slightly more expensive, but slightly slimmer brother:

TX-32LXD700
    (click the link)
    836 x 592 x 248 mm
    836 x 540 x 110 mm

Not sure if the Sony will be within reach of a £600 budget, my guess is this is closer to the LXD700 in terms of price.
    KDL-32D3000 (click the link)
    Dimensions
    Depth (incl. Stand) (mm)214
    Depth (mm)100
    Height (incl. Stand) (mm)581
    Height (mm)530
    Width (incl. Stand) (mm)790
    Width (mm)790

My Philips 32PFL9632 is also more like £700 in price - a quick look indicates approx 610mm inc the stand and 544mm excl stand.

Given that most of these are only JUST under 550mm excluding the stand I really down see any option for fitting a 32" in there unless you mount it against a wall or an extra "beam" that you fit inside the cupboard. Sadly the best option at your budget (the LXD70) isn't even going to fit within that :(

If you're insistant on keeping it on it's stand, then it looks like something like 26" is your only real option:

TX-26LXD70 (click the link)
    657 x 525 x 216 mm - STILL ONLY 1" to spare!!
    657 x 473 x 117 mm

I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SCREENS BELOW, but thought I'd mention them in case you were after every last possible inch of screen space:

27":
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-740697/TVs/Samsung-LE27S73BDX-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-622513/TVs/LG-27LZ5RV-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-610532/TVs/LG-27LZ55-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-636181/TVs/Samsung-LE-27S71B-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-897499/TVs/AOC-L27W551T-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-702349/TVs/LG-27LC2R-Compare-Prices
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-644002/TVs/Prima-LC-27W19S-Compare-Prices

9. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    lostbok,

Thanks very much for a great reply.

Your right if I go that way then it does open up a lot more options.

Edit - hows the 32PFL9632, I nearly went for that model for the front room....went for the Sharp instead (which I'm pleased with) in the end because I couldn't find many reviews about the Philips.

10. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I appreciate that your happy with your tv..... but posting in a number of threads things such as " Samsung is weak" does not help anyone, if you post with reasons, examples etc then that might/could help.

Curly

11. fxytimi

fxytimi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok, let me explain. the r87 is the colours are very dull they dont come at you like the d3000 or the ldx70. they dont seem right. and it lacks 100hz therefore motion blur, i was going to buy this tv, but then i would shocked how bad it was , for the price its ok.

Thne you have the m87, the colours are alll off! they are very bright, the contrast is too high the skin tones dont seem natural, freeview doesnt look very good. and the 100hz isn't the best either.

All im saying is if you have 600 pounds and want to buy a 32" your much much better of getting the lxd70 rather than the m87.

its better to see for your self and you will see what i mean. i was going to buy bother samsungs but you guyrs recommended me the panasonic and now im very happy, plus the sound is better in the panny too.

Just see for your self. I'm just saying what i see.

12. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Agreed - the lack of reviews on the Philips 32PFL9632 was a bit of a gamble, but Philips usually make very good (albeit overpriced) TV's, so I thought I'd risk it: this is just a stop-gap until I can get a 37" that suits all my needs (may even try waiting until LED backlighting comes down to the 37's (this time next year??).

My old TV from the bedroom (22" Sharp Aquos) was pretty decent, but I've not been blown away by their latest offerings (mostly SD handling that put me off), while the Philips SD handling is absolutely stunning... that said, I was pretty much convinced on the Panasonic LXD70, but then I spotted the Philips for £700... and figured it was worth a test run with the Philips to see if I wanted to have them on the shortlist for my 100Hz, 1080p, 37", when I eventually buy it. (the 37PFL9732 was always going to be in the running)

Let's just say most of that short list will probably be Philips now... except I'm sufficiently happy with the current model that I might wait to see what the Aurea's look lik ein the "flesh"...

Back to the lil' ole 32": Freeview is VERY good, HDMI out from the V+ box is pretty decent too: even on SD sources.

The only SD screen that I've I've been disappointed with is Sky Sports who use really bad compression on their feed...

Upscaled DVD's look absolutely stunning over component: been meaning to do a back to back comparison of my OLD £100 DVDRW playing a DVD vs my "loaner" PS3 playing the same movie on Blueray... should be very interesting as I reckon there's not that much of a step from DVD to 720p if you're using a decent upscaler (i.e. NOT the PS3 - which is very good for Blueray, but absolutely 3rd rate for DVD upscaling to 720p!).

edit: the only downside - as some people have pointed out: is a high-pitched whine that plagues a LOT of LCD's... it's very fair and only audible when the screen has just been switched off and when you're a few feet away.... not sure if it would put me off putting in a bedroom... but definitely worth asking around about that...

only other prob - is that the ambilight will either be completely wasted in the cupboard.... or just highlight your dodgy scaffolding ;)

13. Kilohertz

Kilohertz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lostbook,

Does the high pitched whine on the 32pfl9632 continue as long as the set is in standby? I am torn between the Philips and the Panasonic 32LXD700 for as a set for the bedroom. It would be used primariy for SD/ Freeview and significant buzzing/ whining would be an issue.

I tried to do a comparison of SD picture quality between the Philips and Panasonic sets at a local store but the 32pfl9632 was struggling to work with their aerial feed (although other sets seem to be managing perfectly well), probably a faulty sample. Any views on which is better for SD?

KiloHertz

14. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Kilohertz... tbh - most LCD's seem to have some faint high-pitched whine... I've certainly seen people complaining about the Sony D3000 and the Panasonic LXD70 (same screen as the LXD700).... and between those four: Philips, Sony and the two Panny's you have THE best four 32 inchers on the market...

I'll check mine today when I get home (i.e. it's been powered off since last night).

Worst case: mains switch power-off?

WRT to SD over aerial (i.e. Freeview): My actual aerial is very so-so (on my Freecom freeview SCART block in the kitchen, it says "47% stength, 55% quality" and looks pretty much okay most of the time)... but with the same aerial (routed around the house), on my 32PFL9632, it's flawless... the missus was watching it for about half an hour... and then tried to change channel and was complaining that the V+ remote wasn't working.... which it did once I'd switched it back from freeview to HDMI input :) I've not compared it directly with the Panasonic: but these two are on a par when viewing SD content via Sky / Virgin.

If you're going to use the TV's sound as your main sound, then compare them back-back... I think the LXD700 will be the better bet as the Philips has very capable, but far from ceinematic sound, while the LXD700 is supposed to be a lot better than the LXD70... so one assumes they've put some sort of "sub" in there or something to give the sound some depth.

Keep in mind, that my criticism of the Philips sound is because I'm comparing the TV speakers to a £1000* AV setup :D *well it was when I bought it all!

15. Kilohertz

Kilohertz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lostbok,

Thanks for your reply. :) We just had another look at the Philips 32PFL9632today and were very impressed by the picture quality. It seemed every bit as good as the Panasonic 32LXD700 on freeview.The Philips has slightly nicer styling in our view, agree that this is down to personal taste. We thought that the glass base on the Philips looks more attractive and my wife also liked the user friendly setup screens.

At the end of the day these are relatively minor issues and its a tough choice, but looks like we will be going for the Philips.

Sound quality will be more important when selecting a replacement for the downstairs telly.

Kilohertz

16. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    or u can get a little amp some baby KEF-eggs to substitute.... the co-axial out on the TV means any audio from the TV get the 5.1 treatment :D