Smaller speakers required..

FaxFan2002

Just moved house and whilst my speaker setup sounds good, it now looks awful in a country cottage.

The fronts are the main problem these are all fairly old, but none the less, pretty good speakers. Mission 753i Reference and Mission 75C. The rears are M7DS (4 of). The sub a Velodyne CHT8.

I want to change at least the fronts for something more compact and perhaps even the rears to match the fronts. Being considering the Monitor Audio Radius R90AV-12 package but will it give the same quality as I'm used to or am I well off the mark and they will sound (given the usual caveats of prefence and room make up) several times better?

Views / thoughts...?

Helicon

Banned
As good as the MA Radius speakers are for the money, the 753/75c will be a better sounding combination. My only worry is that your Denon won't be getting the most from them, as the Mission's were better than the sum of their parts, and were a bugger to get the best from. I remember hearing them with an old Audiolab 8000c/p pre/power combination with piano music and they sounded fantastic.

The MA's you mention will be better suited to the amplification, so may have some advantages because of that. If you're generally happy with the Missions, try adding a power amp to give them more juice. You might be suprised how much better they can sound.

N

natureboy92135

Firstly, I love monitoraudio speakers. I worked at the now dead and gone GoodGuys in the US for a couple years in college and I would split time between the Monitor Golds and the Energy Veritas we had on display. I wound up buying some of their bookshelf speakers. That being said, you just aren't going to be able to go from those floorstanding monsters to some Radius speakers. Those things sound ok but something that small has literally no guts. There are some really nice sounding bookshelf speakers out there including the Monitors. If those are too big then I'll say I was impressed with the Energy Takes which are like a hybrid between full speakers and satelites.

FaxFan2002

As good as the MA Radius speakers are for the money, the 753/75c will be a better sounding combination. My only worry is that your Denon won't be getting the most from them, as the Mission's were better than the sum of their parts, and were a bugger to get the best from. I remember hearing them with an old Audiolab 8000c/p pre/power combination with piano music and they sounded fantastic.

The MA's you mention will be better suited to the amplification, so may have some advantages because of that. If you're generally happy with the Missions, try adding a power amp to give them more juice. You might be suprised how much better they can sound.

I'm more than happy - they just silly in a small country cottage, hence the need to replace with something a little smaller!

FaxFan2002

I'll have a look at the energy takes - I've got small PMC DB1's on my main audio speakers, maybe thinking about them accross the front (changing the centre speaker for the equivalent PMC one) and maybe the rear in the future? They've certainly got guts..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello FaxFan2000

What 'style' of speaker cabinet do you want to move to?

Wall mounting in a cottage can be fun if you have to get cables along irregular rubble walls.

Joe

FaxFan2002

Hi Joe,

Nothing wall mounted, it is a rental property. Basically the plasma is on a stone harth about 2 feet high, with it's stand about 4ft high. The centre speaker fits snuggly underneath the plasma with the bemoth speakers also sitting on the stone harth.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
the f=good thing about the TBIs is that they are incrediblly room friendly. I have mine in a shelving unit and they sound:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom