Question Smaller compact subs?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by phils_wicked, Jul 20, 2015.

1. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Looking for a smaller compact subwoofer, something around the XLS200 size (infact this may be the best option as I always loved my old 200) but is there anything else I should look at, especially for the price?

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Not really, small compact subs (and good ones) will cost a fair bit. There's a brand I've forgotten that make small, compact, sealed subs with something like 2kw+ amp. But they are pretty expensive.

3. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    Agree with stephenbarnes, the really good small compact subs from the likes of Sunfire and JL Audio E-Sub are excellent, but expensive, would be helpful if you stated a budget ?

4. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Its likely to be about the 400 mark. I'm thinking of going with the Xls200, I've had one previously and was impressed for the money. It will be used with a set of M1 sats.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    I can't remember the sizes off hand, but I don't think the XLS400 is much bigger than the XLS200, if you can afford £400 then you'd be close to the '400 price anyway. The '200 is good for it's size and cost (I use one myself in my second room with M&K K5/K4 speakers and a Marantz NR1605 AVR), but it's not going to move the earth especially in anything more than a small room.

6. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Tis a good point. I'll measure up the 400 and see if we can accommodate it. I like BK subs, I know what I'm getting and like the value for money. The room is only 14' x 12 but I dont want to miss out on too much.

Thanks

7. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    tbh for that room (for movies) I'd be looking at something more than XLS400, perhaps PB1000/PB2000 or Monolith.

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    That's about the size of my conservatory (where I have the '200), but I don't run loud out there as it's mostly just TV programs and the sound tends to carry more due to the room construction. I think it would be worthwhile trying to fit in the '400 if you can as you will only have extra headroom (no bad thing) if you have to turn it down.

Since a Monolith won't fit as per the OP, then I wouldn't worry about it though unless you really expect to run close to (but not at) reference level.

9. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I like the look of the PB1000, might fit into the budget too. I'ts mainly for gaming and movies, not at mega levels as the M1's arnt really for that.

10. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    With satellite speakers, the demands on a subwoofer are even greater.

11. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If you want smaller you could try the sb1000, or for a bit more the sb2000. The 1000 is certainly small but very capable I currently have the sb2000

12. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Hi all, just saw this thread and I have a similar situation to the OP ( Sorry for hijack :)). I currently have the XLS200DF with antimode 8033 as I only have one placement option in my 11ft × 13ft room. I will also be getting the M1s sats for better room placement of the surrounds channels soon. Although I'm happy with the 200 I do feel I'm missing out on low end grunt and I'm considering the SVS SB2000 as a replacement, cat friendly front grill a bonus.

Would this be to much for this size room ?
    Would there be a noticeable upgrade as it goes much lower.
    I don't listen on reference but would like to have some deep down LFE grunt that I can feel.

13. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Not too much at all. I have a smaller room than you and have the SVS SB Ultra 13, and it's great.

I also have a sub similar to the SB2000 (just a older SVS 12" sealed box) and for movies it's pretty mediocre, compared to the SBU13 (and PCU13 I had before that)

14. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Thanks fella, I suppose I'm looking for a reason not to upgrade to it :confused:. It's a bugger trying to explain that I want a sub that will give me a better overall soundstage without being ultra loud ( the wife ) . The 200 fills the room out but just doesn't kick you like it should.

I see Hifix do the SVS range ! Anyone used them ?

15. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    "The 200 fills the room out but just doesn't kick you like it should. "

Yup I got that, plenty of volume from 12" sealed box but none of that great lfe ultra low end room shaking movie effect. 12" sealed box More than enough for music

16. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Hi Stephen. If i understand you right.. You may remember wrong. XLS200 only has 10" Peerless element in a 18litre box. Almost same as Gemini2 (remember the newer model has 10" element too, older has 8").

As now i have heard XXLS400 (12" in 50litre closed box) and Monolith+. There is big difference in both to Gemini2 which is kind of similar to XLS200. Especially with movies. I would say the bigger, the better.;) And reflex box, wow! You can really feel it in chest when crank it up.

There is so many choices.. Now that XTZ is bringing the new beefy subs and all. The best is to go listen if one can. You really don`t know anything before you have heard a good bigger one subs. I was blown away. In my country it is possible to get it home for testing. That would be the best thing, because the room sizes in hifi shop are usually different.