1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small with Large?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NewBeetle, Mar 5, 2003.

1. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    In the process of building my first AV set up and need a little advice. Source and Screen are sorted out with my Sony KP44-PS2 and Toshiba 220E, but sound is where I am getting confused.

At the moment I am just running in stereo with Arcam Delta 290 and Delta 290P driving my Tannoy Revolution R3 floorstanders. Now this sounds pretty impressive as far as stereo goes and these tannoys can belt out some pretty good bass.

Now my problems are these, Where the front L/R speakers go either side of the TV I can fit in the BIG tannoys, but at the rear of the room I gave no space for even standmounts, the sofa has to be on the back wall and I need to have the rear L/R speakers parralel (sp?) to the seating position firing at each other across the room.

So can I run 2+1 sats with the big tannoys plus a sub, with one sattalite for the centre? Really like the look of the B&W VM1's and the JM Labs Sib and Cub set up. Or is it just too much of a difference to have these huge speakers for fronts with tiny rears and centre? I kinda wanted the system to look after my music as well as movies, allthough it seems to be 85% movies nowadays. So it seems a little bit of a shame to lose the Tannoys?

Looking at amps/receivers between £300 and £400 or is there a way to add a processor or something to make use of the Arcam amps?

Sorry about all the questions but I am getting so bogged down in all this it is taking the pleasure out of it!

Replies and advice greatfully received

2. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using a Denon 1803 with my R3's as fronts along with a RC Centre but before i got the matching centre i used a Tannoy 609 as centre and Tannoy 603's as rears but since buying the centre i now use the 609's as surrounds and a 603 for rear back effects along with a Paradigm PS1000 sub.

This setup is much better than before and so i reccommend going for the centre to match your R3's and as for surrounds why not place your satellites up high so as not to take up too much space?

The R3's give plenty of bass but add a sub and you'll definately notice a big difference to the bottom end.

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    So using little sattalites as my rear surrounds with big R3's up front is ok then? A little problem with getting the Tannoy RC centre is placement, as the top of the TV is only a couple of inches deep, I was thing of a sattalite on a single speaker stand (taller than the TV) behind the TV?