1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small widescreen panels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bardel, Mar 7, 2005.

1. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Can anyone provide me with some examples of small widescreen lcd panels. I want to put one in my bedroom so it needs to be small and I'd prefer a widescreen, but all the small screens seem to be 4:3??

Cheers

Barry

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    17 inch is about the mark nowadays. Several makes - LG, Toshiba, JVC, Sony to name a few. Go look in John Lewis.

You may still be able to get hold of a Panasonic 15 inch (GBP500 at shop@panasonic and other places).

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    How small? Would Dell's cool new 1920x1200 monitor (24" widescreen) be a possibility?

4. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Erm, would've thought something about 17-20" would be about right, I would think 24" is probably a bit too big.

Cheers anyway.

PS: What's cool about this Dell monitor then? And how much is it?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    17" 22" 23" 26" are thw Wide LCD panels common sizes (overall size is very dependant on Speakers and case design!) compare 26" JVC to 22" sharp!

6. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I know what you're saying about the case design with regards to the speakers either being fitted to the sides of the screen or below.

Basically I need the unit to be quite compact. Not sure if this is going to sound a bit bizarre but I'm actually going to mount the telly in the cavity of a stud wall, so I want the unit to be nice and compact. The bedrooms not that big (about 2.8m on the narrower dimension which is the way I'll be viewing the telly eg, sitting on the bed with the tv on the opposite facing wall). I guess I need to sort the cavity out first to see how wide the studwork is, although I'm not likely to let that stop me buying the telly I decide upon!!!!

Just looking for recommended widescreen options I guess without getting up to the mainstream "lounge" sized tv's!

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    See the "24 inches of Dell joy thread" costs about £750 ;-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189623

as an alternative you could get the 20" Dell 2005 FPW and hook it up via S-video to a set top box? Get one for circa £400.

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 17" Dell widescreen TV and it is OK for my bedroom (tv is about 1 metre from bed).

Note that small widescreens are 15:9, not 16:9.
    This means some area is cut off from the sides, or the picture is distorted.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The 2405FPW is 16:10, and the pixels are square, so you will get a perfect 16:9 image with some extra black bars top and bottom.

10. HD Ed

HD Ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 17" widescreen by DMTECH from comet. I think it's super value at £431 including integrated DVD player. You may find comments elsewhere on the forum poor dynamics for moving objects ie. tennis. We watch tennis, F1, Football and Rugby. At a similar distance to your likely set-up we see only clear moving images on terrestrial. It's actually better than my old CRT (via Freeview) in this respect.

The built in player is great as we can record on our main TV's recorder and play back in the kitchen on the DMTECH. If you want it without this option it's available at £349. Why not buy two and have stereo viewing or virtual PIP at full size!

On the question of building this or any other LCD into a studded cavity, don't forget that some run hot and all the cooling is via the vents at the rear of the casing. Also you'd loose acces to the integrated player on the DMTECH as it's on the right hand side rear. Oh! another bonus, according to all the literature it is 16:9, but no component and no HD connections

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The poster was asking for 17..20" and I have not seen any 16:9 screens that small.
    Screens that are made for small PC monitors are 15:9 (1280x768 is a common resolution). When these are used in a TV the manufacturer wisely omits any statement about the aspect ratio.

Really? Well, that is an improvement over my 1700W which just crams the 16:9 picture into the 15:9 screen format. "The customer won't notice that"...