Small white WAF speakers, with decent sound

kimare

Standard Member
Reaction score
Initially, I had ordered Def Tech Mythos to a very good price, but after discussing with his wife who was not very excited about the black rear speakers, the order is canceled. Since I had not heard the Mythos speakers I saw no point in forcing through this package. Something else is that I have heard Dali Fazon who gave me a surprising revelation, following an inherent skepticism towards small speakers.

So I am looking for white WAF speakers. The use will will primarily be movies TV and games, with some music. Volumelevel will usually be of low to moderate, with the ability to blow up a little sometimes, but not for everyday.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V671 and a room of 17-18 square meters. The couch will stand up to the back wall, so that inwall speakers is not recommended. TV is 46 ".

VisenoTV-stuerev.jpg

The budget is about £ 1000, this will cover 5.0 and sub. Speakers are preferred white and small with the ability to attach to the wall.

My preliminary candidates are:
Dali Fazon Sat

DaliFazonSat.jpg

These I have heard and they sounded very good, albeit at a Pioneer of unknown model. Possible they are a bit heavy driven to my receiver. A bit high price, I'm also a bit skeptical about the Fazon Sub. Would for example a B&W AOW608 work together with these?

B&W M-1

BWM-1White.jpg

Has been a new updated version that gets good feedback. I am not familiar with B & W sound, is there anyone who can compare with Dali? Slightly cheaper than Fazon.

Focal Dome

FocalDome.jpg

Many users on the forum have these as rear speakers. Will they work in the front and center? Is there anyone who has compared with some of my other options? In the same price range as Fazon.

Q acoustics Q7000

Q7000white.jpg

This year's Style speaker, according to What Hifi. If these really keep the standard reviews suggest they should soon become available in Norway. So far, no Q Accoustics distributor in Norway. A bit cheaper than offerings from Focal, B&W and Dali, I'm I able to hear the difference?

Cambridge Minx 20

CambridgeMin20.jpg

Cambridge Minx, which also gets good review. Is there anyone who can say something about this in relation to the others? Price-wise about the same as Q7000.

Monitor Audio Vector 10

MAVector10.jpg

Received good reviews. Might be too hard driven for the RX-V671? I do not know the sound signature of MA, is there anyone who would describe? Relatively affordable with a price of £ 650 for 5.1 package.

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 600

DefTechProMonitor.jpg

Very good review in norwegian magazine Hjemmekino, far below budget, with a price of £600. Is the competition so much better that they are defending the price difference. Normal price in Britain is around £1200.

Focal Sib

FocalSibwhite.jpg

The cheapest package with a price of £500 for a full 5.1 set, how do they stand up against the more expensive ones.

Orb Audio and Kef has been considered and discarded. Orb because of price of about £1000 and I do not see what they can deliver extra compared to alternatives that are easier accessible. Kef eggs like neither I nor the mistress, in addition to the black mesh front.

If you have experience with some of my options, or other similar comments be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

i know you dismissed them but I am in the process of setting up the orbs audio in my living rooms so will get back with how they sound, you can also start of with the below kit and add later one.

People's Choice HT Quick Pack

shipping is around $25 and TAX too but they normally under value them to save on tax.

a5ian300zx

Hi,

i know you dismissed them but I am in the process of setting up the orbs audio in my living rooms so will get back with how they sound, you can also start of with the below kit and add later one.

People's Choice HT Quick Pack

shipping is around $25 and TAX too but they normally under value them to save on tax.

a5ian300zx

Don't forget to let us know what you think of them ! :)

Don't forget to let us know what you think of them ! :)

Hi,

Will do, my setup consists of

Mod2 Fronts (L/R)
Mod4 Centre
Mod2 Rears (L/R)
BK XLS200 Sub
Van Damme 2.5mm hifi cable

if they are really good then i will upgrade to 7.1 so two more single mods.

I'm upgrading from Mission MCubes 6.1 setup.

a5ian300zx

They said $150 for the same set including the sub to Norway. Even if they undervalue, I'm not certain to avoid the full VAT so I always calculate full VAT when considering prices.

According to my calculations I'll have to pay $1350 for this set + 25% norwegian VAT = 9800 NOK.

In my views I'm no saving enough compared a BW MT-set which I have to pay 12500 NOK for. If I get cheap RyanAir tickets I'm able to travel to London where I can have the B&W set cheaper and might even get a VAT refund. And still have the option to listen to the speakers.

Until I read several trustworthy reviews that the Orbs are superior to B&W, Focal, Dali etc it's not worth the hassle in my view.

They said $150 for the same set including the sub to Norway. Even if they undervalue, I'm not certain to avoid the full VAT so I always calculate full VAT when considering prices.

According to my calculations I'll have to pay $1350 for this set + 25% norwegian VAT = 9800 NOK.

In my views I'm no saving enough compared a BW MT-set which I have to pay 12500 NOK for. If I get cheap RyanAir tickets I'm able to travel to London where I can have the B&W set cheaper and might even get a VAT refund. And still have the option to listen to the speakers.

Until I read several trustworthy reviews that the Orbs are superior to B&W, Focal, Dali etc it's not worth the hassle in my view.

Hi,

Sorry I meant they normally under value to items to decrease tax,

i.e. I bought $2,000 dollars worth of items as i bought i set for my nephew. and the tax was £95 for me they valued the item as $1200.

Don't buy the subwoofer of them as its not that great hence my reason for the BK.

PS: you can haggle them down on price, I knocked off $300 dollars and free shipping which was very quick - got to me within a week.

I wont be able to finish my setup until end of next week, but can't compare to to the ones you mentioned as i never heard or owned them.

will let you know my opinon.

Thanks

Sorry I meant they normally under value to items to decrease tax,

Beware, it's mostly random. I've had really good surprises with non-EU imports, i.e. ridiculous VAT amounts, but I've also had a very bad surprise (more than 30%, but it was on a cheap item).

Should I be aware of the sensitivity when choosing speakers to the RX-V671? I see that small design speakers are often insensitive.

Especially this matters for these:
B&W M-1 85dB (2.83V, 1m)
Dali Fazon 86dB (2.83V, 1m)
Q Acoustics Q7000 85dB (2.83V, 1m)
Monitor Audio Vector 85dB (2.83V, 1m)
Cambridge Minx Min 20 87dB (2.83V, 1m)

Is my receiver powerful enough to take advantage of potential of the speakers I look at?

Would I be better looking at:
Focal Sib 90dB (2.83V, 1m)
Focal Dome 88dB (2.83V, 1m)
Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 89dB (2.83V, 1m)

If sensivity matters what is the limit I should be looking at or is this individual for the spesific speakers?

Last edited:
Should I be aware of the sensitivity when choosing speakers to the RX-V671? I see that small design speakers are often insensitive.

B&W M-1 85dB (2.83V, 1m)

Is my receiver powerful enough to take advantage of potential of the speakers I look at?

If sensivity matters what is the limit I should be looking at or is this individual for the spesific speakers?

you can order the Q7000 in white from MaquimSom they will ship to norway for just under 20€.

they have a promotion going 790€ (658£) cheaper than uk , if your order the 2x stands for 130€ (108£) they will make you 10% discount, if you required the cables they will recommend audio quest G2 and audioquest sub-A also with 10% discount.

http://www.maquimsom.pt/catalog/adv...eywords=q7000&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0

the sound will blow you away in movies with master audio HD and in music is also very very good.

check my vid.

Q7000 + onkyo tx-nr609 home theater speakers 5.1 q acoustics - YouTube

B&W M-1 85dB (2.83V, 1m)

A higher sensitivity will make more of the power that your Yamaha has to offer, but don't let that be the 'be all and end all' for your decision. You need to like the sound of the speakers, which should take presidence over efficiency. The B&W's are one of the least efficient here, but the Denon 1912 powers them extremely well (equivalent to your 671), and combination sounds pretty amazing.

A higher sensitivity will make more of the power that your Yamaha has to offer, but don't let that be the 'be all and end all' for your decision. You need to like the sound of the speakers, which should take presidence over efficiency. The B&W's are one of the least efficient here, but the Denon 1912 powers them extremely well (equivalent to your 671), and combination sounds pretty amazing.

Thanks David.

Due to price, feedback and design, this will be my list of priority when listening.
B&W M-1
Focal Dome
Dali Fazon sub
Q Accoustics Q7000

I'll be looking at the following subs
Cambridge x300,
SVS SB12NSD (if they can be found in white),
B&W asw608 and
BK XLS200.

Any comments on subs are welcome you see the price range.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom