1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

small v large speaker setting v LFE/Bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jrpavel, Feb 22, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the optimal speaker setting?

The Yamaha's YPAO detects both my Kef 2005.2 Eggs (rears) and ProAc Response Hexas as "Large", even though they are all spec'd to go down to 80Hz (and the instructions for the Kefs say that they will be damaged if the Large setting is used protractedly). YPAO also suggests an 80Hz cross-over.

There are two options: (i) use the large setting and take advantage of the apparent capabilities of the speakers, even though they are small; (ii) use the small setting and don't overstress the speakers; let the subwoofer take the strain. What are the pros and cons of each?

The KEF woofer also has settings for music (what I normally use) and cinema and a 12/24db setting, that I don't fully understand. Should I set it for 24db to keep the woofer in its place?

A further variable is the subwoofer boost that is, if I have understood correctly, recommended for Dobly Digital and the slightly different boost recommended for DTS. Does this happen automatically?

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Receivers and other units that incorporate Dolby Digital 5.1-channel decoding provide a feature called Bass Management, which allows you to distribute low bass just to those speakers in your system that can handle it. By keeping low bass out of the other speakers, such as small satellites, the system will be able to play louder with less distortion. & Port Smoke:D

3. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Set the speakers to small....

not only will you fry your tweeters but you can create a fequency spectrum hole. If you set to large and your amp sets the cross over frequncey to 60 or what ever it is... then your satalites will be sent every thing down to 60 they can only produce 80 and your sub will carry on from 60 downwards so you have 60-80 frequncy range missing.

If we set them to small then the crossover will be 90 (+-10). Sats do the work down to 90, now set the crossover frequncy to 90 on the wubwoofer so the sub does 90 to the lowest possible.

Now if the subwoofer is to high i.e 110 then the frequencies for the sat and the sub will start to cancel each over out so you either get a bit of distortion or the effect of a hole. Set the sub to low i.e 60 then you'll get a hole again i.e 60-80 missing. Try and keep the frequency response as a straight line.

i.e Sub does low bass upto 90
    Sats carry on from 90 to high

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If there is a suggestion for a cross-over then the speakers are not LARGE anymore.

Use option ii. There is hardly any floorstander that can handle the low frequencies as a sub, it would take a big speaker and an even bigger amps to achieve that.
    In case of your speakers it's definetely recommended to run them as small.
    Obvious benefits: less strain to the speakers and amp, more umph due to the use of the subwoofer.

Option i might be better when used with music if you really have capable speakers and a meaty amp.

Don't change the settings. For more background / details please read here: Misunderstood LFE

5. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Sorry to high jack your post but what about the center speaker? if I set mine to small you miss the bass that was there before.
    can the sub replace this lost bass from the center channel ?
    cheers Dave.

PS my center is a Paradigm CC350

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In a word - yes

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You shouldn't loose it since it will be routed to the front speakers if there is no subwoofer (setting = NO). Unless of course the fronts can't handle any bass either. But in that case you should have a sub anyway.

Yes, if the sub is present (setting = YES) all low-frequencies from any speaker set to SMALL is send to the subwoofer.

8. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks guys I will give it a try I have a sub(Servo 15) but I don't have a X30 so my amp sends all the Bass below 90 HZ to the sub.
    cheers Dave.

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you set speakers to large then they will receive the full frequency range (down to 20Hz) i.e. no crossover will be used and the sub will just pick up the LFE channel plus the bass from any other speakers set to small.

I can't see why setting a bass limited speaker to large will "fry" the tweeters - okay so the mid/bass unit might get a bit over worked if it is being sent very deep bass but the tweeters won't be receiving anything different regardless of speaker size setting.

If the AV amp is taking care of the bass management then you should NEVER set the subs crossover to anything but it's maximum frequency - in fact it's best to bypass the sub's crossover altogether if possible.

Basically, it's not a good idea to cascade bass filters which is exactly what will happen if you match the sub's crossover frequency to that of the amp. If the amp is managing the bass then the sub will only get sent the frequencies it is supposed to deal with so it's own crossover is not needed.

Matt.