Question Small TV with specific features

lhcbunker

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly, I have a question. Can I use a USB splitter to power a chromecast and connect a USB stick for playing video files?

10cm USB 2.0 A Male to 2 Dual USB Female Hub Power Adapter Y Splitter Cable Cord | eBay

I am looking for a TV that fullfills the following specs
· No smart TV needed
· Play video files from USB stick
· Freeview HD
· Full HD 1080p
· 22/24 inch
· A PC monitor type stand that could fit a small speaker, bose soundlink mini
· Ports
o 2x HDMI, just one may surfice
o 2x USB or 1 if I can use the splitter
o Audio jack

I found this one

SAMSUNG V24F39S Smart 24" Curved LED TV

Which would be ideal if the splitter works.

Thanks in advance

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The splitter may be iffy, I know some tv's already have trouble supplying high enough current even with just one USB device. On the other hand you might be fine. Most tv's have multiple ports anyway, at least larger ones.

Occasionally I see a question on here with someone looking for smaller screens and its hard to recommend any each time because they are so rare nowadays, that usually means limited people owning them and no reviews cited online anywhere. At that size really PC monitors are more popular. My view (although I can't say I own a smaller tv) is I expect the smaller TV's to be of poor quality to keep costs down, especially so since even 32 and 40" tv's now seem to be of worse quality compared to a few years ago. However maybe someone on here who owns a smaller tv may be able to offer their own experiences.

Your requirements are also in depth, so short of searching and looking up the specs of each tv on manufacturers websites/manuals its hard to see what would be suited.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and thank you for your insights regarding smaller TV's. I think your point regarding PC monitors is very valid and I would be happy with a PC monitor with a freeview HD tuner.

Regarding the current, a chromecast will draw about 0.5A at full load though I do not know how much a USB stick would draw. It is a bit of a guessing game, hopefully someone who has tried it will stumble over this post.

Thanks

The splitter shouldn't work, the way it's wired up should deliver no more than 100mA to the chromecast according to the spec.

Some devices are more rigorous about enforcing that than others so in practice it may work.

It's probably simpler to use a mains plug splitter and USB power supply (also called a USB charger).

Yes I had thought about doing that however I may want to move the TV around occasionally so I thought it would be best not to have it plugged in. Where are you getting the 100mA from?

The max current supply for the USB specs are

USB 2.0 - 0.5A
USB 3.0 - 0.9A

That is the max specification, that is not to say that the TV USB will supply that much.

Assuming it does then the total maximum current consumed by the USB stick and the Chromecast must not exceed 0.5A (the TV has USB 2.0).

I imagine that memory stick takes barely any current, the Chromecast requires 0.2A (I have read) - so if the Samsung TV USB can supply 0.5A then the splitter should work.

The challenge is that I doubt you will find anything that clearly specifies what current the Samsung TV USB can supply. Will probably need to try and see.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes I had thought about doing that however I may want to move the TV around occasionally so I thought it would be best not to have it plugged in. Where are you getting the 100mA from?

USB devices are only supposed to draw 100mA as a startup current, if they want more for full operation they have to poke the host and request it. As that splitter doesn't have the data lines connected this would be impossible.

In reality many USB ports will tolerate a device pulling 500mA without communicating first.

I've seen people post not being able to use their USB bias lighting because the USB ports on their TVs don't supply enough current so I wouldn't be surprised if it caused an issue. I also don't know if the TV would support a USB hub or splitter or how it would decide between using them. Can't you find a TV that has more than one port or are they rare at that size?

If you want quality PQ from a TV I really wouldn't look smaller than 32 though. At least at 32" the Sony WD603 uses a higher contrast VA panel. No idea about smaller TVs but my guess is they are worse quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom