Small tv for Uni dorms?

Beezerk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my daughter has just moved into her Uni accommodation and she's after a smart tv to put in there, nothing massive maybe 32" or 39".
There's no tv signal as such so it's main use will be for Netflix, Disney+ etc, she also has a Nintendo Switch.
Budget is £200 - £300 so nothing high end unfortunately lol.
Any particular tv's/brands to avoid or look into?
Thanks.

I'd look for a 1080p screen from one of the more known brands and use a Google TV Chromecast for the smart software. Could opt for this (HISENSE 32A5600FTUK) one from the Amazon Warehouse perhaps:
Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HISENSE-32A5600FTUK-32-inch-Playback-Freeview/dp/B089NFBPF3
Edit: then again they do come with a limited warranty iirc (plus the description was incorrect and it doesn't have a 1080p screen) so perhaps look for something brand new instead, does limited the 1080p options by quite a lot unless you take 40" into the equation ....

1080p isn't really that important for a 32" screen but more of an indicator of a decent panel for me (in the sense of they don't make 'em like that anymore which is actually true in this case)

Last edited:
If she can go up to a 43" it opens up some UHD options, but again you'll probably want to use external smart TV. If not because smart built in to TVs tend to be bad, but so you can turn HDR off which is a must-do on cheaper models. Apple TV has this toggle, not sure about Chromecast TV but you can certainly toggle HDMI 1.4 on the TV side, which should allow HDR to be avoided.

Thanks for the replies, 32" is the largest she can go unfortunately due to restrictions on space.
I've seen an LG 32LM6370PLA gets a decent review on one site, seems to be £249 everywhere, do you think this tv would be the best of a bad bunch option?

Btw, why toggle off HDR? Just curious.

Some people own the TV on the forum and are happy with it. You aren't going to get much at smaller sizes, so I don't think its really possible to rate one model better than another. The good thing about the LG is it has decent built in smart TV.

HDR is a bit of a problem on cheaper TVs, the picture will look worse than the SDR version, and many apps don't give you the choice to switch.

Shouldn't be an issue with Netflix since you can just keep the plan on HD only and avoid it completely. Disney+ I'm not sure about, built in apps are probably going to use it whether you like it or not.

Some people own the TV on the forum and are happy with it. You aren't going to get much at smaller sizes, so I don't think its really possible to rate one model better than another. The good thing about the LG is it has decent built in smart TV.

HDR is a bit of a problem on cheaper TVs, the picture will look worse than the SDR version, and many apps don't give you the choice to switch.

Shouldn't be an issue with Netflix since you can just keep the plan on HD only and avoid it completely. Disney+ I'm not sure about, built in apps are probably going to use it whether you like it or not.

Thanks, much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom