1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small, tight, cheap & beautifully built.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by condyk, Nov 29, 2004.

1. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ok ... I'm asking a lot here, but there may be a pair of small, tight sounding, cheap (less that £100 +/-) & beautifully built speakers that can meet my needs.

I have moved to a smaller place and so am 2 rooms short. Previously, I had a room I kept my hi-fi in. Good quality set up but now don't have room for it and home cinema set up, so have sold the CD player and 'imported' the main speakers into cinema set up.

I still have the Norh SE9 Tube amplifier (which is a beauty and I'd prefer to keep it) and the idea is to put it on my computer desk in the office and power it by my Sony VGF-AP1L Pocket portable music player, or direct from the computer.

BUT what I need is a small pair of speakers. I am quite fussy about quality finish and also sound. I'm thinking there may be a set of recently discontinued speakers at around the £100 mark that could do the job. They will sit eaither side of the desk so the smaller the better. I prefer real clarity to lots of bass. I have Tannoy MX2's as my rear surround speakers in lounge and have seen these at below £100, but even they are maybe still just a tad too big I reckon. So, any ideas out there?

Thanks a lot ... Norh tube amp sat next to my TFT computer monitor looks very cool ;-) and it'll keep me warm in winter :) I just need the speakers to be a happy geezer!

Dave

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    MS302's?

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,308
    Probably a little too small. Condyk, I would suggest looking 2nd hand for anything suitable.

4. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, checked them out and they do seem just a tad too small. Am wondering about the small Mission stand-mount type speakers, like the M30's. Also the Warfedale 8.1's, which have been discontinued but seem good value at around £80. Any experience of either? Maybe I should at least try my Tannoys and see how they sound and look ... then I'd need to get some new surround speakers to replace them!!

5. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eltax Monitor IIIs, so good I've not bought three pairs!

Great build (although the black ones don't seem as well built as the beech units) and great sound once worn in.

PS Keep away from the 302s, I wanted them for the same purpose but they gave me a headache after a period of listening and Richer Sounds had the cheek of charging me 10% to take them back (the next day).

6. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In the end I bought a pair of new Mission M70's from Richer Sounds for £49.00!!! A real bargain. I also got a set of screw in spikes for the bottom as they are located on top of a large glass table with computer and it helps avoid a bit of muddy bass. Now they're run in they sound pretty good for such cheap speakers. Good sense of soundstage, very clear vocals. Easy listening and toe tapping which for a work area is spot on. A bit of a weird set up with a £400+ valve amp sat in the middle of a pocket music player and a pair of cheap speakers, but it actually works. The Norh valve amp really is very sweet and listenable.

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    A no brainer, Mission m71s, originally around £150, available if you scour some of the multi page ads in the mags for less than £50. Good screw or banana binding posts, can be biwired, well made, sound great, daft price.

8. phattanglo

phattanglo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone can clarify the pros & cons between dedicated centre versus matching left/ right/centre speakers.
    I have been trying to decide what my best option will be based on my budget of £250 when I upgrade my speaker package.
    My choices will be based on products available in RS as they accept the wad of Capital Bonds I got as a Christmas bonus from work.
    I expect it will be along the lines of Mission M70's all round or possibly M73i/ M7c1/M70.
    Whatever I end up with I will have to wait for a sub for now.
    Any help or personal experiences would be appreciated.
    Cheers Kev.

9. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just picked up 2 sets of m70's + kef cresta center(didn't rate m7c1) from richer sounds for £130,aint tried them thou as the b***h has wrapped them up,still it will b fun midnight on the 24th,will get another set of m70's for 7.1 if like them.