1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small telly?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by avsugar, Sep 24, 2001.

1. avsugar

avsugar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of a TV bigger than the standard 14" portable, but smaller than the smallest "full size" ones? Price is not really an issue, and I don't really mind that much whether it's widescreen or not (it would mostly be used for watching 4:3 broadcasts). Something like a 17" standard, or a 21" widescreen.

The limitation is rearward space. It has to fit into a particular space in a static caravan, which limits the available depth to around 40cm, maybe 42cm at a push. Currently we have a portable there: it fits easily, but it's just too small to watch. Unfortunately, I can't afford an LCD...

'What TV & video' list a 21" widescreen Samsung, but I suspect this is a misprint, as it costs £500 and no-one on Tottenham Court Road has heard of it!

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Nick

17" is exactly what you need.

Manufacturers of 17" sets are Philips, Hitachi, Grundig, Toshiba and now Bush!

Some of these sets may no longer be available, since there was never a big market for 17".

Expect to pay £170 - £230.

I have the Toshiba, model 1782TB. The front - back measurement is about 37cm.

Hope this info helps.

Ps

If you have second hand stores like 'Cash Converters' or 'Cash Generator' in your area, you might be able to pick up a used one for as little as sixty quid. My local store had Nokia (no longer made) and Toshibas which were either ex rental or from hotel chains.