1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Telesales Operation using VOIP

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by dfdvoiper, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfdvoiper

dfdvoiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to investigate the possibility of implementing VoIP over the public internet for a small telesales operation (10 max) operating from Capetown, South Africa and calling the UK.

We would like to test VoIP solutions that are relatively cheap and use ADSL or similiar lines without the expense of Leased Lines or SDSL.

I would very much appreciate any experiences or advice on the matter.

Regards

DFDVoIPER!!

2. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would be surprised if you get any reply, most people hate telesales, so they are not going to help another one set up.

3. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Fist off, the cost of a SDSL line in capetown is going to cost you a mint, if you can get one

And as far as telesales and the UK goes,, phone France as we dont want your calls :hiya: :lease:

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    :rotfl: :smashin:
    j

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I'd love to help you, I've setup many such operation...But as you are commercial I will have to charge my normal contractor rates....

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so we got you to blame for some of the crap we get with telesales?

Telesales should be banned.

7. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think you are being a little unfair there. Firstly, most companies sell or lead generate by phone and have done since it was invented. Imagine if all the current telephone sales calls had to be done door to door instead, like they used to be. Now that would be really annoying - I know I used to do it when I was 16 years old!

Also imagine if all the current telesales were converted into visits and people went in the car - the roads would be even more packed, petrol consumption would go through the roof and the demise of the planet would arrive quicker.

You have to remember that these companies will just change there method of attack to something else.

I completely agree that some people abuse this by taking the p1ss like Kitchens Direct and others, but remember that an opt out service is provided and you will never receive another call again. Easy. I would much rather channel all of the junk communication directly through a medium I can simply switch off by opting out. So think again before looking to ban telesales!

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Thanks for a more considerate response jimbobaggins...In addition you can always opt out via the preferences service....

But guys/girls come on, the OP asked a normal question and you start slinging mud...I can appreciate that you have strong feelings about it though....The skill of telesales goes further than just sales, it also includes debt/risk/compliance management....And it works, otherwise there wouldn't be a whole industry around it ;-)

9. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To be honest all of this type of selling should be banned, that means door to door, telesales and any other junk mail.

As I said to the Teletwo bloke that came to the door, If I want to change telephone suppliers, I will do my own research. who gives these people the right to phone me or knock on my door to disturbing me just to sell their goods?

The opt out system works now and again, but you still get crap though the door, stupid American pre-recorded messages, which ends up on my answering machine, which means there is less space for important messages.

If I set up a system to stop people phoning that do not send their number over it will cost me.

I am sorry, but I hate telesales, I also hate door sales people.
    I tend to put the phone down these days and also close the door straight away.

10. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Sorry but I can not agree with any telesales operation that is not in the UK.

TPS is a good thing but the only calls I get now are from abroad, and like ad47uk says, how many automated mesages do I have to delete evey few days.

hang on,,, @dfdvoiper - what do you plan on selling to us all in the UK?

11. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My company has move to SKYPE with all outgoing calls, far cheaper than BT for sure.

I think that VOIP is the future for landlines, so doubt that the TPS will be able to "monitor" overseas co's.

I can see this being abused with overseas telesales but we are all to blame if we have accepted our bankers doing this with their CS depts...........

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    As was mentioned before, another way will be found....

If you had door to door sales, lobby your council...My area is now an official no cold calling zone...It is illegal to do so...I've called the police twice and they actually showed up! One was selling the watchtower ;-) And the other that stupid magazine...

If you are not in such a zone, they have every right! You may not like it but unfortunately the law is not on your side...So stop moaning and change the law :)

But as stated before another way will be found...And it is needed for the economy...That same economy that contributes to the services you take for granted...And helps underdeveloped areas to get to the same standard of living that we enjoy....

13. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got a simple way to stop door to door sales people, I tell them to get off my property or I will put them off.
    I get very few now.

My mate have got a sign outside saying no Cold callers, so far it have worked. I suppose at the endof the day, if you got a sign outside, then there is no way you are going to be interested in anything thay have to sell.

So we have got to put up with these cold callers and telesales because it is good for the economy and helps under developed countries? Oh well if you put it that way, lets have more of it.

What a load of crap. My Telephone number is Ex-directory, so I do not get as many calls as some people, but I do get some, mainly from companies that uses their com[puters to phone random numbers. That should be made illegal.

Cold calling should be made illegal though out the country, so should Telesales, I don't care if it come from this country or outside the country.

I really get fed up with people who think they have the right to call me at anytime to seel me stuff or to knock on my door to sell me stuff.

These days I tend not to answer the phone, unless I know the number, I am also going to start using my chain on my door more, so if there are sales people I can close the door easier.

14. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Well if you want be on your own (and I think we had this conversation in another context) there is only one soution left for you in the 21st Century....Get LOST (oh what a great link back to what this forum is about...)

15. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Who says I want to be on my own?

What I am saying is that no one have the right to phone me, trying to sell me products which I doubt very much I want in the first place.

I never thought about it before, but this VOIP thing is going to make it very difficult to stop more people getting conned by telesales people. It is going to be more difficult to trace them as well.

At the end of the day, I should be able to use my own equpment the way i want to, I should be able to recieve the calls I want to.

This is the problem with technology, privacy seems to go out of the window. Even the government do not care about peoples privacy, which is why they want us all to have I.d cards and to make Britain a big brother state.

16. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    This thread was never about the rights and wrongs of cold calling. Someone requested specific advice, not peoples opinions on the matter.

ad47uk, there are simple means of ensuring you never have to answer a call from someone you don't recognise. Speak to your phone operator, they will be quite helpful.

dejongj, your response was overly personal.

This exchange stops here, I am going to lock this thread as I think it has served any purpose it may have had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.