Small surround speakers

CaPo

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the best options out there? At the moment I'm running acoustic energy aegis compacts at the rear of my 5.1 system, they sound good but there are 2 issues.
They are ugly, the missus hates them.
They are too big, there is a doorway to my left and due to the size the speakers have to be above it. I am upgrading to 5.1.2 so would like the surrounds smaller which would allow them to fit between the door and the wall.
Cambridge Audio min 22 looks like a decent option to me, with being so small though will I be disappointed with the sound coming from the larger speakers? I also like the look of the B&W m1, but I think they will still be a touch too large.
Any recommendations for other options I should be looking at?
Front speakers are acoustic energy aegis bookshelf and centre, these will be upgraded at some point, sb2000 sub and just ordered some psb Imagine xa atmos speakers.

Q acoustics q7000i are looking like a good option to me atm, any comments?

Ideally you would want all the speakers to be the same make and model all the way around. As soon as you mix and match you run the risk of causing issues but you will only know when you buy and install them if this will occur or not. All the options you mention are reasonable speakers but how well they will match the other speaker and if this will cause you an issue only you will know.
Would some bipole/dipole speakers on the rear wall work for you? If so then maybe you could look to change all speakers to something like the Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver series with FX speakers for surrounds.

I think I'm going to stick with monopole, as I like the sound I have now and that is what the atmos recommendation is. If I could move my existing speakers lower I would.
The q acoustics are appealing to me atm as when I upgrade my fronts in the future, concept 20's will be high on the list of possibilities.
AVR is a Denon 3400, so hoping the audyssey will take care of some minor differences in the speakers, though i know it won't work miracles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom