Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Small subs?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gregory, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know it's an almost self-defeating request, but I am after a rather small sub.

It's for the kitchen, where we have two small speakers dealing with the stuff you'd expect them to (which sounds great, running of their own proper amp), and a completely naff computer 2.1 set-up sub dealing with the rest - and I'm sick of it:mad:. The only trouble is that there isn't much space in the only location it can be put - specifically it needs to be less than 9 inches wide. (could be a little taller and deeper, but not much - it's very visible, so if it looks dreadful then it's ruled out - and 8 inch width would be better).

Could be another computer 2.1 setup if that works best, but equally could be a dedicated sub (I'm fairly happy with the rest). I'd like it to work as well as it can given size. For clarity, this is music, not video, so slam etc. doesn't matter too much. Might also consider putting better speakers in the ceiling, but that is a bit irreversable if we then decide we don't like them!

Any ideas (that don't include changing the kitchen :)

Cheers

Greg

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Would it be a viable alternative to change the speakers so that they handle a fuller range and do away with the idea of a sub altogether.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I have had small speakers up on top of the kitchen units and they sounded quite good with penty of bass,probably because they were near the ceiling.People were always impressed with the sound and wondered where it was coming from.

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Probably not, though it feels like this would be a more ideal solution. There really isn't a lot of space that they could go without looking rather strange (we should have thought of this when we redid the kitchen really, but there we go).

I'll have a think about bob1's suggestion as there are wall units they could go on top of, but I suspect that they would still look rather strange - so the question stands. Even if I can find a fuller range speaker solution I'd like to know what alternatives I have re. a smaller sub.

Incidentally, the existing little sub 'knew' it was being talked about - it appears to be failing, only 30 mins after I sent the first mail!

Cheers

Greg

5. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any thoughts anyone? Or is this a lost cause?

Cheers

Greg

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  7. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting - it would just fit. Thanks

Greg

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    The spl800 would be a good choice of sub but it will set you back around £700, unless you could pick up a mk1 or a deco second hand.

9. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes - I did look :thumbsdow Mk 1 is slightly too large though. So, I might consider whether there are any full-range ceiling speakers that would actually do the job better & cheaper. If not, I may yet swallow hard and get the SPL800 (irony is that it looks like it would be better than my current AV sub - a Celestion S10) - I can see an arms race going on between rooms here that could get expensive :(

Cheers

Greg