Small subs - what's the choice??

D

Dazed

My brother has decided that he would like a sub after hearing my Gallo MPS150 - however size/aesthetics are his most important criteria.

The sub will be used in a stereo setup partnering his B&W P4's - which he loves but finds too anaemic in the bass department. I have recommended Velodyne after hearing so much positive feedback on here - apparently the CHT10 is too big and ugly (some people eh!). He was looking at the Rel Quake but I told him to give it a swerve.

His budget is £500 tops, is there anything you could recommend other than the little Gallo:)

velodyne vx10
Gonzo. :D

Hmmmm good shout, but I said aesthetics were important:p

Still it would probably fit the bill if it had a grill - that big "V" thing just looks terrible. Uncle Eric?

I like the look of the box, it's just that "V" thingy. Does it have a grill uncle E?

I think he's sold on B&W anyway

I'd take a serious look at the MJ Acoustics Pro50 if you are looking at something small AND musical.

I auditioned the REL Quake too, which was fine for the bangs and pops in movies, but didn't quite do it for me on the musical front. I thought the Pro50 was a great little sub for the money, I spent this weekend setting it up and it's singing like a good 'un.

Also, if you're worried about the aesthetics, the Pro50 comes in some gorgeous finishes, I got the Light Oak real wood finish which fits in with the furniture perfectly (it cost £340 from Sevenoaks). I had enough of the 'big black box' thing in the 80's so the Velodynes and others didn't have a look-in, apologies to 'true' audiophiles, but I have to live with it and had to make a compromise somewhere, simple as that.

So overall, I'm very happy with the Pro50 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Wingnut

What about one of the B&W Subs?

Thanks for all your recommendtions - I think he's got his eyes on a B&W sub - pending a demo

Hi all
I swapped my relq150e for a B&W asw675 sub the rel was ok but the asw675 is loads better it does take longer to set up than the rel but the outcome is worth it.If you need a small good looking sub with plenty of controlled power also good with music you could do much worse than the asw675.
The only stumbling block is the price £650 which you can get the servo 15 and cht15 which will out perform it but then youve got the big black box back which i for one can't accommadate.[Thats what the misses tells me]:D
Gonzo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom