Small sub recommendations for films

Not sure if this is a serious question or not ?

But quite often consideration has to be given to WAF or aesthetics, generally 2 subs are going to be better than a single sub, better coverage over more of the seating areas and a smoother response too. Also it might not be possible to accommodate dual SB2000 Pro's or at least not in the best positions, whereas dual 3000 Micros might be perfect.

According to what has been reported about the 3000 Micro, it's a very competent sub for it's diminutive size.
The 3000 micro is nowhere near the SB2000 Pro, and they’re more expensive. Also one SB2000 is going to take up less space than 2 micros. So the only advantage I can see here is the dual sub aspect.

We should have our 2000Pro back from demo soon, so i can compare like for like against our 3000Micro.

I can say that the 3000Micro is night and day different compared to the new 1000Pro

The 3000 micro is nowhere near the SB2000 Pro, and they’re more expensive. Also one SB2000 is going to take up less space than 2 micros. So the only advantage I can see here is the dual sub aspect.
The benefits of going dual sub is the biggest advantage and is well proven.

As to the size and the SB2000Pro going to take up less space ......... you need to consider that there may not be enough space to fit the SB2000 Pro, but with the 3000 Micro being that little bit smaller it will fit where the SB2000 Pro won't which in turn may mean that you can fit dual 3000 Micro's when you couldn't fit a single SB2000 Pro.

I'm not going to labour the point or benefits of dual subs over a single sub as there is plenty of evidence supporting this that's freely available if you want to look into it in more detail.

@AmericanAudio is in the ideal position to be able to carry out a fair comparison, and although it's a moot point for me at least ....... as i'd not consider either subs, but i look forward to reading their comparison.

The total room volume here is just over 5000CuFt which is a huge space to fill with bass. According to Audioholics’ subwoofer room size rating guide that’s an “Extreme” room. They rate the SB-3000 up to “Medium” room size which is 3000CuFt so, depending on your listening levels, if you go that route you’ll probably be wanting to buy more than one.

If it’s mainly for movies I’d be looking to try and squeeze in a couple of ported subs to benefit from the extra output.

I'm not going to get that past the wife, but in addition, I have noticed when reading multiple sub threads the desire to pressurise the room is not one that "resonates" with me (sorry).

Consider that until I recently decided to swap my systems around, the same "huge" room employed a single sonos subwoofer and other than the quality of the bass (bit boomy with some punch) output wise, it was sufficient for me.

I am confident, given what I've read that the SB3000 will be ideal for the sound that I am after and sizewise, it's ideal. I think I can even make it disappear into my window reveals if I buy it in gloss white.

I've managed to find brand new stock in gloss white for £1100, so I'm tempted to pounce on it. I'm considering going straight for two, but am nervous given the above that it will be overkill for me.

Can't hurt to try one first and then add later I guess.

Screw it - just bought two for £2100

That’s the spirit! You’re gonna love those subs - I think you’ll be surprised just how much going dual takes it to another level on the SQ front.

They are actually a lot smaller than I realized and in gloss white I can very easily make them disappear into the windows.

never had two subs before.

so should I expect this to our perform my late model mx350 (bash amplifier version).

Two SB3000 surely would outperform it! Have you considered buying measuring gear to find the best spots for them so you really get to hear them at their best? 100£ would be small price after throwing 2,2k£ in woofers. You basically need laptop (with free program) and the below mic which you can sell later on. So it would end up costing 30£ or so.

I might give that a go, but tell me, if maximum output is not my goal, Is there still a benefit to running the software?

I might give that a go, but tell me, if maximum output is not my goal, Is there still a benefit to running the software?

Absolutely! Running the software is not about getting maximum output, it's about getting maximum performance.

REW software combined with a UMIK-1 microphone will help you with several important things to optimise your bass frequency response including:

1. Finding the best positions for listeners, subs and main L/R speakers (mains can have nulls too)
2. Setting channel trim levels accurately
3. Time aligning the subs with each other and collectively with the main speakers
4. Setting EQ - the 3-band PEQ system of the SVS App can really help smooth out the frequency response but you need to be able to measure what's it's doing

I only bought UMIK-1 a few months ago when I was thinking of getting new subs and it confirmed that I needed more than one sub and, after buying a new pair, has really helped with getting them properly set-up.

Sounds like a no brainer.

I assume it’s easy to use but I’m not usually a luddite.

The REW software has loads of features I haven't used but running frequency sweeps and recording the output is a doddle.

Obviously you need PC to run the software and to connect to the UMIK-1. I also bought a cheap (£10) boom microphone stand to hold the UMIK-1 and a 5M long HDMI cable to run from the laptop to a spare input on the AVR from across the room.

Last edited:
My avr is 25m away in the loft!!

I guess this sub system is out of the question?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-185801.png
    Screenshot_20210330-185801.png
    1 MB · Views: 55
Obviously you need PC to run the software and to connect to the UMIK-1. I also bought a cheap (£10) boom microphone stand to hold the UMIK-1 and a 5M long HDMI cable to run from the laptop to a spare input on the AVR from across the room.

Why did you need to connect the laptop to the AVR? Was it a luxury or a necessity?

Only way to send anything to my avr is over baluns.

Currently all my sources plug directly into the tv and the eARC output has its audio extracted by an HDFury vertex and is then sent upwards about 10m over a 1080p balun. There is no visible "picture" as such sent to or from the AVR.

Set up won't be fun but I'm hoping it won't be again and again.

That's why I'm wondering if I need to connect the laptop to the avr for display purposes.

If it's just for the sound, I can connect the laptop to the TV and the amp will output the same sound it already does.

Two sb3000 (not micro) they retail at 1350 each in gloss black/white.

Why did you need to connect the laptop to the AVR? Was it a luxury or a necessity?

Only way to send anything to my avr is over baluns.

Currently all my sources plug directly into the tv and the eARC output has its audio extracted by an HDFury vertex and is then sent upwards about 10m over a 1080p balun. There is no visible "picture" as such sent to or from the AVR.

Set up won't be fun but I'm hoping it won't be again and again.

That's why I'm wondering if I need to connect the laptop to the avr for display purposes.

If it's just for the sound, I can connect the laptop to the TV and the amp will output the same sound it already does.
You only need an audio (PCM 2CH) connection but you also really want to be able to access your AVR’s settings at the same time.

Two sb3000 (not micro) they retail at 1350 each in gloss black/white.
IMO that's a great deal and interestingly an almost identical discount % level that I recently got on a pair of PB-3000s (paid £2400 - retail is £3100).

A german company on eBay, but the listing has gone now.

uk stock, Uk warranty, Uk plug.

Last edited:
Question, does anyone have any feedback on the wireless svs transmitter?

i have an rca connection to my sub from the loft but is in the wrong place in the room. Is the wireless transmitter good enough to solve this problem and can one transmitter work for two subs?

Oh dear lord, she's seen them and is still not happy about the size.

I have opened one box so far to show her thinking she'd be content but it didn't go so well.

I may now be looking at the 3000 micros.

Must say, having heard one SB3000, not audessy and certainly not calibrated to the room in any way, the performance of just one will certainly suit my needs.

I will try to convince her, but I know that when it comes to decorating, this is going to cause rows, so I'm considering cutting my losses and jumping now.

I have asked the ebay seller if he'll take them back, but am not sure he will, and don't expect him to. Might be another of my selling on projects.

edit: seller has zero problem taking them back for a full refund and will then be supplying me the new ones!! Seriously impressed with the customer service - such a nice guy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom