Small sub recommendations for films

Adam M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen similar threads before so apologies, but they were restricting budget and placement and so limited the advice given.

I have just sold my mx350 due to it being too big and need something (possibly two somethings) that can be considered more wide friendly. I’ve looked at the svs micro 3000 reviews but came to the conclusion I didn’t need to go quite that small.

the room I need this for is not small but the av set up only occupies half of it. It’s 9.5x5x3. Listening area is 5x5x3 but it’s completely open to the rest of the room which is perfectly rectangular.

can’t give info on front speakers yet but they will ultimately be some kind of in wall speakers (think IW 150). Surrounds and surround backs are m&k cs29 and there are four monitor audio ceiling speakers for height set up.

am not excluding anything on budget but don’t need to go insane! I’m also not after insane vomit inducing bass. I was quite happy with what the mx350 could produce.

to put it into perspective, this room used to have a Sonos set up with one sub, I tried two but it became boomy.

i much prefer very hard hitting and punchy bass that takes you by surprise for short periods rather than sustained shaking that causes ornaments to fall off. I know this is really down to the film but my point is I don’t mind being impressed by the former and less impressed by the latter.

the floor is wooden but the sub floor is concrete slab, the ceiling is also suspended under concrete slab and all the walls are solid brick - not sure what help that provides but can’t hurt to have info!

thanks in advance for any help you can give.

the room I need this for is not small but the av set up only occupies half of it. It’s 9.5x5x3. Listening area is 5x5x3 but it’s completely open to the rest of the room which is perfectly rectangular.
hi Adam, even if only occupying half the room the sub in reality needs to still pressurise the larger room 9.5x5x3 :)

this is quite a large space to be honest ! and little subs will just be lost in it...

I have just sold my mx350 due to it being too big and need something (possibly two somethings) that can be considered more wide friendly. I’ve looked at the svs micro 3000 reviews but came to the conclusion I didn’t need to go quite that small.
mx350 dimensions were
59.37 X 38.73 X 50.8 cm

this is a largish sub woofer ...but not outrageously so :D

can you quote just how big a sub is acceptable ? dimension wise ? as then folks can figure out what will do to fill the large room size you have ... 9.5x5x3

to put it into perspective, this room used to have a Sonos set up with one sub, I tried two but it became boomy.
this is the thing with subs... good quality doesnt need to be boomy..infact you know a sub is setup well ... when you cant hear it :D

it brings depth, detail punch and a serious heft to the sound .... but the sub itself doesnt stick out like a sore thumb...ie you cant hear it...

an inadequate sub pushed beyond limits can also be boomy... a decent sub, appropriately sized and setup well should never be :)

a good decent sub... can also for this reason be better than two lower subs for the same money... two subs take careful locating... and even more careful integration... or can be double trouble :D

If budget doesn't come into the equation i'd highly recommend having a look at Procella Audio manufacturer of Home Cinema Loudspeakers they do a complete range of speakers for different sized rooms, which also includes a range of different subwoofers that are a lot smaller than most of the others on the market, these include both active & passive versions.

I'm probably a bit biased as i've recently changed my speakers to Procella and also started a thread for them on here Procella Audio Speaker Thread

Certainly worth a look in my opinion if you want a top quality speaker setup.

need something (possibly two somethings) that can be considered more wide friendly. I’ve looked at the svs micro 3000 reviews but came to the conclusion I didn’t need to go quite that small.

i much prefer very hard hitting and punchy bass that takes you by surprise for short periods rather than sustained shaking that causes ornaments to fall off.

Without Grille 397mm x 385mm x 399mm
With Grille 397mm x 385mm x 451mm

2x SVS SB3000 probably max size you could consider. They have suprised many reviewers who thought the small beast couldn´t fill larger space. If not mistaken @DodgeTheViper has owned that M&K MX350 and he runs dual SB3000 now, maybe he could compare them by few words if they were used in same room? We can see from data and owners reports that they offer plenty of that mid-bass punch/massive output which you seem to crave! They have similar FR to your M&K (18-270hz ±3 dB), 13" high-excursion driver with 800w / 2500w+ amp. This is one of the best performing "small" subwoofer without breaking bank!

If you looking black oak finish AVO has two SB3000 as SVS refurb. These should be in mint condition with full warranty. 1084£ (1275£ RRP) so -15% off!

You might be able to get them for home trial. Check the terms.

Last edited:
Having run a 3000Micro as a test over their launch weekend, they are a kickin' sub. Dont let the size fool you.

A pair of them would at least match the SB2000-Pro if not edge ahead marginally.

UK Warehouse stock is low at the moment, so make sure they are available before ordering.

Depending on finish, SB3000 are widely available.

Thanks for the tips so far - much appreciated.

Any thoughts on the B&W PV1D?

I’m only going off internet reviews here.

space wise there will be two sofas set away from the walls, so I’m thinking about hiding one or two behind those.

space wise there will be two sofas set away from the walls, so I’m thinking about hiding one or two behind those.

You kidding us? :D Say you are joking...

If not then seriously forget the bowling ball! It screams overpriced vs. performance! And add the amp failures many members here has had with that model... What Hifi reviews should be taken with a grain of salt!

I wasn’t kidding but I’m not well researched in the sub world - which is why I’m asking here.

far rather take advice from here than internet reviews.

I’ve had two subs in 20 years, one for 18 of them (mx150). This area of av is one that has completely escaped me.

NO :D

good as extension for a small bookshelf speaker and for delectable 2ch rig in a small room... thats it :D

if can answer question above i had re size ... likely lot more folk can come up with sensible solutions :D

If not then seriously forget the bowling ball! It screams overpriced vs. performance! And add the amp failures many members here has had with that model... What Hifi reviews should be taken with a grain of salt!
they also like most of the B&W subs fail their internal class D / ice mp and then you might as well throw them as a bowling ball straight into the closest rubbish bin :D

I wasn’t kidding but I’m not well researched in the sub world - which is why I’m asking here.

far rather take advice from here than internet reviews.

I’ve had two subs in 20 years, one for 18 of them (mx150). This area of av is one that has completely escaped me.

Just teasing you mate (april fools day is close though), but on serious note that model offers very poor value/performance/short warranty while also keeping in mind that you have big space to fill out.

Is the SB3000 too large? There is not many high performing compact sized woofers. JL E110 comes to mind, but SB3000 offers lot more performance in the crucial 40-80hz range with lot lower price tag (1084£ vs. 1725£)!

Having checked it out, I have no issue with the dimensions of the SB3000, am thinking I’ll try one first then go to two later.
Bit daunted by the idea of tuning two.

now I just need a temporary LCR set up until Ken Kreisel releases his inwalls.

Having checked it out, I have no issue with the dimensions of the SB3000, am thinking I’ll try one first then go to two later.
Bit daunted by the idea of tuning two.

now I just need a temporary LCR set up until Ken Kreisel releases his inwalls.
I take it the Procella's don't pique your interest then ........ they do inwalls too and all their speakers are very highly regarded.

I didn’t look at the procella, will look now.

I’m generally wary of products that I can’t easily demo locally.

I didn’t look at the procella, will look now.

I’m generally wary of products that I can’t easily demo locally.
Give their UK sales agent a call.

United Kingdom / Ireland | Sales Agent​

Sales agent

If not mistaken @DodgeTheViper has owned that M&K MX350 and he runs dual SB3000 now, maybe he could compare them by few words if they were used in same room?
Blimey, that's going back a little. I did have the MX350 and then added another one and yes they were in the same room that I have now.
From my distant memory, I think I would take the SB3000 over the MX350. While being much easier to accommodate, I think it also has more slam/punch to it.

Ok, that’s nearly enough for me to buy one now - blind!

Final questions,

sb3000 or pc2000 for entirely av use?

Last edited:
Having run a 3000Micro as a test over their launch weekend, they are a kickin' sub. Dont let the size fool you.

A pair of them would at least match the SB2000-Pro if not edge ahead marginally.

UK Warehouse stock is low at the moment, so make sure they are available before ordering.

Depending on finish, SB3000 are widely available.
Why would anyone choose 2x 3000 Micro over a SB2000 Pro?

Final questions,

sb3000 or pc2000 for entirely about use?

Well if one would be eyeing your room size 47,5sqm alone then LARGE ported sub (multiples preferably) would be quite natural choice. But you are so limited with the options due to size requirement. PC2000 Pro is still bit too small, especially if you would be able to get just one. SB3000 is small and has more juice in the 40-80hz chest slam region. Easy to fit two. But i have no idea how they are going to perform in such large open space. It would so much easier with large boxes, i would have one refrigerator sized low cost version in mind for you. 😅 But your wife would probably pack her bags and move out..

PSA S1512 would be another option. 15" driver, sealed compact cabinet. Finish is special, but they have 3 wood veneer options too.

Why would anyone choose 2x 3000 Micro over a SB2000 Pro?
Not sure if this is a serious question or not ?

But quite often consideration has to be given to WAF or aesthetics, generally 2 subs are going to be better than a single sub, better coverage over more of the seating areas and a smoother response too. Also it might not be possible to accommodate dual SB2000 Pro's or at least not in the best positions, whereas dual 3000 Micros might be perfect.

According to what has been reported about the 3000 Micro, it's a very competent sub for it's diminutive size.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom