1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Sub or No Sub ??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NaimBoy, Dec 22, 2004.

1. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I have something of a dilemna that could use your input.....

I'm looking at integrating an AV system into my existing Hi-Fi which consists of Naim amplification and a pair of PMC OB1 speakers. The AV amp/processor will be something along the lines of a Denon 3805 / Yamaha 2500 to feed the center & rear speakers.

Now my problem is the sub - the room is only 3.5m x 4m and the PMCs already go down to 22Hz, not to mention the only place left for the sub is too small for the baby SVS :(

So the question is, is there a small sub (no bigger than 40cm x 40cm x 50cm) that would make a noticeable impact or am I better off just sticking with the PMCs and saving some money ? :eek:

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    A sub will make a difference to movies, your PMC's will be free to concentrate on the upper frequencies while the sub can concentrate on the low end stuff.

For music, you could just use your PMC's. The choice of sub is a difficult one though.

I'm thinking: Quad L Subwoofer, B&W ASW750, Velodyne CHT 12R or, if your budget stretches to it, the Velodyne DD12, anything smaller will not do the rest of your system justice in my opinion. A good subwoofer will ALWAYS help out with movies, no matter how low your floorstanders go.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You could do to listening to a few subs to find out if its what you want,for movies i think a sub is a must.
    If its a small sub your after the velodyne spl range is a good place to start looking.
    Whats your buget? looking for the right sub can cost you plenty of money ,once you start buying it can get hard to stop.

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The Velodyne is less than your required 40 X 40 X 50 and is awsome for the money, It has a 1000 watt RMS amplifier and 2" excursion. It's amazingly fast for a 12" due to the enclosure size but goes very low due to the huge power.

Come and have a listen!

Regards

5. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys....

Looks like the Velodyne SPLs are a good place to start.

I guess I was hoping that something like the BK XLS200 would suffice but deep down inside I know Kazman & Bob1 are both right - it's going to need something a little more 'beefy' to do it all justice, and I know from previous experience that I won't be happy unless I've got what I really want so anything else is a false economy !

Ah well..... time to spend more money !

Hayes - thanks for the offer - may well take you up on it after Christmas....

Cheers,
    Mark