Question Small stereo amplifier recommendations

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 7seriesdriver, Aug 19, 2018.

1. 7seriesdriver

7seriesdriver
    Previously Novusdigitalmedia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hiya

New to these forums, so bear with me :)

I’m looking to minimise my home office desk and have a smaller music system than the JBL active speakers I’ve got currently. I’ve bought myself a set of Dali Menuet speakers from my local Audio-T, but on the lookout for a small footprint amp to work with them and TBH I don’t want to spend a lot!

Ideally around £300; it’ll go between a NAD D1050 DAC and my iMac and obviously run the small footprint Dali speakers

I got the speakers ex-demo for a daft price as I don’t think they’re sold any more; but having known the guys at Audio-T for a long time and having spent a lot of money there over the years too; they did offer me them at a silly price, which I couldn’t turn down!

I have wondered about a T-amp; but never used one, only heard one a few times. A friend had an SMSL Q5 (I think that was it); built in DAC etc. It ran some Q ACoustics Concept 20s and they sounded great; but I think my Menuets wil need a bit more power

Have thought about Cyrus and Musical Fidelity; but concerned that the age of their amps might go against them

One amp I’ve come across trawling Google was a Monitor Audio A100; it’s an amp that can be stood on its end, has anyone heard one of these?

I do have a few other amps currently (NAD C352 and a C320BEE and an Arcam Apha 10); but they’re too big for my desktop really; more so as I’ve bought a smaller desk to use as the one I have currently is a professional office desk and just far too big

Any suggestions or could this be a futile request and I should go with the known (Cyrus etc)?

Thank you

2. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
  3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    That Teac is a very good deal, and I'd suggest jumping at it, even though it's a tad about your budget.

4. 7seriesdriver

7seriesdriver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks re the Teac recommendation; still a bit too wide for what I’m after really

I managed to win a Monitor Audio A100 amp off eBay of all places last night; so will have a listen to that when it arrives. If no go for the Menuets; I’ll be able to use it elsewhere (probably in my garage) as I won it for not a lot, more so when compared to previous auctions. It didn’t have a remote but that’s not an issue really.

Any other suggestions at all, from anyone?

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Is the A100 a weird curved rainbow type design?

If it is a mate of mine had one driving some B&W stand mount speakers and it sounded very good. This was a few years back and only heard it a few times during nights playing poker at my mates house. The amp replaced an old A and R (the previous name for Arcam) amp he had and he was very happy with it.

6. 7seriesdriver

7seriesdriver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi

Yes it is, it’s here with me now, but haven’t set it up yet. It’s like a curved amp that leans back when in situ. Fairly heavy and feels well made.

Will get it plugged in this evening and test drive it with the Menuets