Small speakers for uni/rears

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by flyingfridge, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flyingfridge

flyingfridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I cannot take my hi-fi set up with me to uni :thumbsdow

Therefore I need some small speakers for a small room, for music

I would also like these speakers to be suitably used as rears with my MS 914's and MS309 sub for home cinema setup when I return, so would need to integrate well with these.

I was thinking MS902i's would be the obvious choice but also heard it's not as important for rears to match with fronts so other choices which anyone thinks are particularly good would be greatly appreciated.

Budget around £200

Thanks,

Freddie

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    You have one hell of a system for someone going to uni!

Best speakers i have heard around the £200 mark are the Focal Chorus 705v, heard them on the end of some fairly modest Arcam amps at the Bristol Show last year and was stunned by the clarity and quality of them....

3. flyingfridge

flyingfridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I'm on a placement year at the moment and spent a fairly large chunk of my wages on hi-fi!

I like the look the Focals, especially for hi-fi, but do you think they would function well as rears for home cinema and gaming?

Thanks for the response.

Fred

4. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    really like the sound of my tangent clarity 4's (otherwise wouldn't have bought them!) but is always going to be a personal choice always best to test these things - have to say to my ears it was night and day the difference between them and the 902is. I also heard the Acoustic Energy Linear Ones are meant to be pretty damn good at the price (around 200)

5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Not an issue for rears, as i'm sure you're aware the rear channels don't do all that much compared to the fronts anyway, but the little Focals are great speakers and are often recommended for exactly that use!