1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small speakers for Arcam set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lloydo, Jan 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set Up: Arcam CD72T/A75+ with Mission M71's

Problem is that these are behind where we sit and I want them either side of the fireplace about 7ft away, but, I need them to be small and nice to look at (I'm married). The Gallo's have approval but what would they sound like with my Arcam gear, also I could include these into my 5.1 set up in the future when I upgrade?

Any other suggestions, thanks in advance.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Using a pair of the Gallo balls and the subwould work very well, certainly give a better sound than the Missions. They'd be more dynamic and go much deeper. Also it would be very easy to upgrade to 5/6/7.1.

3. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will I need the sub aswell?
    How does that connect to the A75+ amp?

(Already have one sub?? which aint much cop for the dvd/receiver)

4. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are just going to be running stereo then its not worth buying the gallos. Two micros and the sub would set you back £800. For that money you could buy some very good speakers. B&W CDM1NT's are £750ish, EPOS M12s (M something anyway) are also very good.

That's the only thing going for the micros in this situation. They are , in my experience, excellent for movies but not so good for music (compared to a similarly priced pair of "full range" speakers).

Shame you can't find a nice looking pair of floorstanders, the Monitor Audio S6s are quite slim and unobtrusive (£600).

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230

Yes you'll need a sub as well, though yours maybe up to the job, only you could decide.
    Gallos own MPS-150 works very well with the sats, which i guess is to be expected.
    Anyway...you'd connect the Gallos up via a sub, using the high level in/outputs. That is, speaker wire from the amp to the sub's high level inputs, which takes the low frequency stuff, then a further run of speaker wire from the sub's high level outputs to the Gallos sats themselves.

I've recently brought three of these balls so cognitive dissonance prevents me from saying much bad about them.;)

spence

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW

I'm currently running the Gallo NM's in stereo with the NPS-150 while I await an AV amp. After a few weeks running in I am absolutely floored by their performance. Much better than anything I've owned before, then again they're much more expensive than anything I've ever bought before. MY amplification is also much more humble than yours being an old Marantz 54ki

7. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using my arcam avr200 with some mordaunt-shorts after extensive demoing at stratford hi-fi in leamington spa. For my ears this combination in stereo blew away all of the competition including some speakers three times the price (it's not bad for movies too) - that's just me but it might be worth a listen.

If i were you i'd get a list of speakers from here and set aside an afternoon with your dealer (hi-fi...) and just trust what you hear. If you speak to them nicely they'll probably let you demo the gear at home to get an idea of how it's going to sound in your room. All bread and butter stuff I know but it's always worth saying :)

Cheers

Gaz
    -x-